Re: Complete Neophyte Question(s)

I don't use the word hero very often, but you sir, are the greatest hero of
all time. Thank you for confirming I'm not insane. SP2 has caused the
Securables tab to populate properly and now it actually makes sense.

The only other issue that I'm trying to wrap my head around and can't seem
to google well is the difference between "GRANT" and "WITH GRANT". Can you
enlighten me?

Thank you a million times over!

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
James (minorkeys@xxxxxxxxx) writes:
Thank you very much. I believe I have my head wrapped around this
better.

When I go to the Securables tab for this role, there are no objects in
the
listbox. Simply an Add button. Yet, if I view the properties of certain
stored procedures it will have that role listed with execute permissions.

This seems like a simple request, but all I want is to see the objects
that a certain role has permissions on, and what those permissions are?
Rhetorical: Why is this so difficult/counter-intuitive?

I did some research, and I think I have the answer. If you do Help->About
what version do you get for Managment Studio? My guess is that you will
see something 9.00.1399 or 9.00.2047, that is either RTM or SP1. To wit,
when I try this on SP1 of SSMS, I don't see the securables, but SP2 gives
me the list of objects.

You can find the latest service pack for SQL Server on
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913089/.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at

  • Maybe this could help
    ... I've found a solution to update SQL Server to SP3. ... It also works with SP2. ... Product Installation Status ... No mapping between account names and security IDs was done. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP2 Issue
    ... An issue was recently discovered with SQL Server 2005 SP2 which might impact ... primarily for customers who use cleanup tasks in maintenance plans and SQL ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.tools)
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP2 Issue
    ... An issue was recently discovered with SQL Server 2005 SP2 which might impact ... primarily for customers who use cleanup tasks in maintenance plans and SQL ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • ADP, Application Role, and objects
    ... The above link is to an atricle on how to implement SQL Server Application ... After you connect with your ADP, fire a bit of code to set the ... third party tools to view the data on the same database. ... Scenario 1 - If I explicitly grant permissions on that object to the user ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • That is permission problem
    ... SQL Server 2005 can't attach database on Windows Vista ... It seems it must be a permissions problem. ... What is the service account for SQL Server? ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.tools)