Re: Complete Neophyte Question(s)

James (minorkeys@xxxxxxxxx) writes:
Thank you very much. I believe I have my head wrapped around this better.

When I go to the Securables tab for this role, there are no objects in the
listbox. Simply an Add button. Yet, if I view the properties of certain
stored procedures it will have that role listed with execute permissions.

This seems like a simple request, but all I want is to see the objects
that a certain role has permissions on, and what those permissions are?
Rhetorical: Why is this so difficult/counter-intuitive?

I did some research, and I think I have the answer. If you do Help->About
what version do you get for Managment Studio? My guess is that you will
see something 9.00.1399 or 9.00.2047, that is either RTM or SP1. To wit,
when I try this on SP1 of SSMS, I don't see the securables, but SP2 gives
me the list of objects.

You can find the latest service pack for SQL Server on
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913089/.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at

  • Re: Complete Neophyte Question(s)
    ... More generic question as I'm messing with the Northwind database to get a ... has no permissions explicitly defined, does it err on the side of deny or ... Securables tab to populate properly and now it actually makes sense. ... You can find the latest service pack for SQL Server on ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: The user does not have permission to perform this action.
    ... exec sp_addlinkedserver 'remote_server_name' ... Execute permissions default to members of the sysadmin and setupadmin ... Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at ...
    (comp.databases.ms-sqlserver)
  • Re: Complete Neophyte Question(s)
    ... stored procedures it will have that role listed with execute permissions. ... permissions/security model in SQL Server 2005 has baffled me thus far. ... an object to a schema owned by someone else, ... in Books Online, but admittedly Books Online is surprisingly thin on ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Conflicting AD groups
    ... This appears to be an important area that is missing in Books Online. ... it does talk about AD permissions as mapping into SQL Server rights. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Complete Neophyte Question(s)
    ... permissions/security model in SQL Server 2005 has baffled me thus far. ... I know that this role has permissions defined somehow, but I'll> be damned if I can figure it out. ... an object to a schema owned by someone else, ... in Books Online, but admittedly Books Online is surprisingly thin on ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)