Re: Permission problems user can't create a table

Hi Dan

But the user will still specify schema name to create a table. I understood
that the OP wanted to create a table without specifying the schema, as it
must ne a member at least of db_owner fixed database role

Just my two cents

"Dan Guzman" <guzmanda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks again, I guess then that even though a users default schema is
say the dbo schema it doesnt automatically mean they have permissons
on that schema.

Yes - the default schema only specifies the schema used for unqualified
object references. It does not grant permissions.

To create a table, ALTER permission on the schema are needed as well as
CREATE TABLE permissions in the database. For example:

GRANT CREATE TABLE TO MyUser;
GRANT ALTER ON SCHEMA::Sales TO MyUser;
GRANT ALTER ON SCHEMA::Accounting TO MyUser;

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP