SQL 2005 no longer authenticating a Windows Computer Account instead NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON

Hi, I have a SQL 2005 server which was in Windows Authentication mode
for SMS 2003, I have changed this to Mixed mode as I have had to put
on some additional DB`s. I also made a mistake and had to restore the
MASTER database (oops!).

Ever since I have restored the MASTER Database I have broken the
security to my SMS 2003 database.

Before the computer account of remote machines were used to connect to
the database, but now the NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON account is
being used. This was failing with the following error

Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 11.

After much play I recreated the 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON' and the
error changed to:

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'. [CLIENT:
ipaddress]
Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 16.

If I grant this sysadmin it successfully connects but obviously I do
not want to allow this massive security risk.

The remote computers should be using their Computer Accounts to
connect with Windows Authentication, there is a group in the Master
Database containing these computers which has the correct access to
the SMS database, however it appears as if this is not being used.

Anyone any ideas?

  • Re: Recovery SMS primary site (no backup available)
    ... of synch with your files with your database. ... Check out the SMS Technical FAQ: ... >> the backup work, but it would be in the unsupported realm. ... >>> We had a raid crash during a rebuild of a SMS 2003 primary site server. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
  • Re: Moving SMS SQL Database
    ... We have a customer running SMS 2003 in Advanced Security with a remote SMS ... SQL database. ... They need us to move the database to a different server. ... groups and permissions referencing the OLD SQL Server ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
  • Re: Move SMS Database to new SQL Server
    ... Because you aren't just backing up the database, you're doing a full SMS ... later and move database from a remote server back to the SMS site server.) ... >>> I have SMS running right now on its own SQL server. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.setup)
  • Re: remote control database could not be found after Windows 2k3 Sp1 update
    ... You could be using a link to an old MMC Console. ... remote control database could not be found after Windows ... 2k3 Sp1 update ... I update my SMS server to Windows 2003 SP1. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)