Joe (jwdaigle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) writes:
OK, I obviously dont understand something really simple here. Could
someone help me see the light? :-)

Im logged in as a local machine admin.

1> grant create database to [valen\nsLocalDBUsers]
2> go
1> grant alter any login to [valen\nsLocalDBUsers]
2> go
Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Server VALEN, Line 1
Cannot find the login 'valen\nsLocalDBUsers', because it does not exist or
you d
o not have permission.

CREATE DATABASE is a database permission, ALTER ANY LOGIN is a server-
level permission. Database permissions are granted to database principals,
server permissions to logins.

It's certainly interesting that [valen\nsLocalDBUsers] is a database
user, but not a login, particularly if this is the master database.
But I would dig into sys.server_principals and sys.database_principals
to see what anomalies I could find.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at

Relevant Pages

  • Re: System Administrator Implied Permissions
    ... > sa login, it assigns it the System Administrator fixed ... > Now, given this, why does SQL Server ... in each database is always a member of the public and db_owner roles. ... Other sysadmin role members have the exact same ...
  • Re: No db access after publishing web site
    ... GRANT UPDATE TO ... If I detach and attach this database on a different PC (according that PC ... Cannot open database "pago" requested by the login. ... Are you detaching/attaching the SQL Server Express database correctly ...
  • Re: cannot login to the db after...
    ... Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP) ... I have created a new database, "db_1", using the "sa" ... I then created a new login, "sqluser1" and gave ...
  • Re: Cant view merge agent properties (trying again)
    ... In the List of Actions for the Snapshot Agent History I see this repeated: ... every single database listed. ... So, just now, I went to computername\Administrator Login ID (because it's ... On the computer running SQL Server, ...
  • Re: Database security design with and form-based authentication
    ... Since you already have forms-based security, why not use a single SQL login ... for all database access? ... data entry, guest/view only, admin, report viewer. ... so I'm using SQL Server authentication. ...