RE: GRANT CREATE DATABASE versus GRANT ALTER ANY LOGIN

Hello Joe,

I understand that you log into SQL Server 2005 as a local admin but you
could not grant "alter any login" permission to a domain login. If I'm
off-base, please let me know.

I suspect "buitin\Administrators" group might have been removed from the
server or it has been removed "sysadmin" server role.

You may want to login as a domin user or sql login with sysadmin role,
grant yourself "sysadmin" role, and test it again

EXEC sp_helpsrvrolemember 'sysadmin'

EXEC sp_addsrvrolemember 'domain\username', 'sysadmin'

If you have any update, please feel free to let me know. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Peter Yang
MCSE2000/2003, MCSA, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Microsoft Online Community Support
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx>.

  • RE: SBS Web Remote Webworkplace Login
    ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... SBS Web Remote Webworkplace Login ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS 2003 setup strategy
    ... I suggest that you contact our Microsoft Phone Call Support ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... -userA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx login: userA ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: GRANT CREATE DATABASE versus GRANT ALTER ANY LOGIN
    ... server, and is a member of the sysadmin server role. ... could not grant "alter any login" permission to a domain login. ... server or it has been removed "sysadmin" server role. ... Microsoft Online Community Support ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • RE: How do I set the login name for a user?
    ... If a database is created by a Microsoft Windows NT authenticated login ... database does not have a matching SID in the syslogins system table. ... Microsoft Online Community Support ...
  • *How MSFT *Deliberately, Arrogantly, Egregiously, and Totally* Fails to Support Office, MSDE2000 in
    ... and failure to support it is directly on point. ... about Microsoft's Committment to Support SQL MSDE 2000 in BCM the Add-In to ... VP Microsoft Business Solutions, Steve ... when it comes to Microsoft Support you have ceded to incompetent Convergys. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)