RE: GRANT CREATE DATABASE versus GRANT ALTER ANY LOGIN

Hello Joe,

I understand that you log into SQL Server 2005 as a local admin but you
could not grant "alter any login" permission to a domain login. If I'm
off-base, please let me know.

I suspect "buitin\Administrators" group might have been removed from the
server or it has been removed "sysadmin" server role.

You may want to login as a domin user or sql login with sysadmin role,
grant yourself "sysadmin" role, and test it again

EXEC sp_helpsrvrolemember 'sysadmin'

EXEC sp_addsrvrolemember 'domain\username', 'sysadmin'

If you have any update, please feel free to let me know. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Peter Yang
MCSE2000/2003, MCSA, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Partner Support