RE: Login has all rigfhts but can login to sql

Hello Salam,

From your description, you're getting the "Login name must be specified"
error when try adding a sqlserver login into a database's users collection
and set its default scheme to dbo, correct?

Based on my research and the steps you mentioned, I think it is likely
caused by the "login name" value is not supplied when you add the user.
When adding a new user into SQL Server database, you need to supply two
values:

**Username ----this is used for identify the user in the certain database

**Login name--- this is used for identity the login (windows or sqlserver)
of this database instance.

and Username is not required to be identical to the loginname. For your
scenario, you need to put the sql login's name in the "login name" textbox,
and also supply a "username" in the top textbox.

BTW, you can also configure the default schema of a sqlserver login in a
certain database through the Server logins configuration window. You can do
this by following below steps:

1. Select the login (sql or windows) in the database instance's
"security-->logins" list and rigth click to open properties dialog.

2. In the login properties dialog, choose "User Maping" setting in the left
panel

3. You can then configure the mapped username and default schema in those
databases of this server instance.

I've attached two screenshots of the above approaches. You can get it by
using Outlook express to visit this message. If you feel it necessary, I
can send you through email also.

Please feel free to let me know if there is any other information you
wonder.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

  • RE: How do I set the login name for a user?
    ... If a database is created by a Microsoft Windows NT authenticated login ... database does not have a matching SID in the syslogins system table. ... Microsoft Online Community Support ...
  • Re: WMP 11 Download Songs from URGE
    ... | it's a music online download site that need to login to use its service. ... normally accessing such web site programmatically ... | Microsoft Online Community Support ... | where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support ...
  • RE: RoleProvider Capturing Authentication Events
    ... login page) see different pages depend on whether they're unauthenticated ... Because if a user is redirect to login ... Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead ... where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support ...
  • Re: How do I set the login name for a user?
    ... How do I set sa as the owner of the database? ... If a database is created by a Microsoft Windows NT authenticated login ... Microsoft Online Community Support ...
  • Re: Login control and restricted member pages
    ... The HTML of the aspx page loads fine, but I recieve a login dialog ... NTFS permission limitation. ... Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead ... Login control and restricted member pages ...