OPENROWSET

I'm having problems with OPENROWSET with excel file.

I have excel file in network accessible folder. File opens in excel by
entering each of the following in explorer address

\\server\wwwroot$\file.xls
\\server\file.xls
\\server\c$\inetpub\wwwroot\file.xls

However OPENROWSET only works for
\\server\wwwroot$\file.xls
Otherwilse error message returned =
Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 3
OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' reported an error. The provider
did not give any information about the error.
OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0'
IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005: The provider did not give
any information about the error.].

I think there might be a permissions problem somewhere : maybe domain, maybe
sql service account. Question is: what context / account is used to execute
openrowset for each of above?

.