Restricting access via LAN

We have a third-party SQLS 2000 based client-server system where the client
software uses SQLS logins (not LAN logins) to access the database. This
opens up the risk of users using tools like MS Access, MS Query, etc to
access the database directly rather than through the client software.

Is there a way of restricting access so that only connections from the
client software will work? Note we are very restricted on what can be done
with the application itself as it is third-party. We need to put something
in place on the server.

TIA
Andrew