Re: SQL Server and ODBC connection strings questions

Hi Steve,

If you don't want the password set in clear text, you can put it in the
Registry (possibly securing it using NT permissions) and then reading
the appropriate registry key from your application.

I also believe that you can set the Client & Server Net Libraries (on
SQL Server 2000, not sure of the 2005 equivalent) to force protocol
encryption so that nothing gets transmitted as plain text. There will
be a performance hit for doing this though as more work has to go into
encryption/decrypting the packets sent across the network.

Hope that helps or sheds a little more light on things.

  • Re: How to Facilitate and Use Data Protection on DOM (WinCE 6.0)
    ... make sure that your boot registry is set ... In one scenario the Encryption and ... Decryption in my file system filter seems to work fine but the 2nd ...
  • Re: Data encryption ?
    ... I personally dont mind the registry at all and use it all ... The reason is I attempt to avoid having to use the Windows Registry ... >> Microsoft MVP - ASP.NET ... >>> Instead of using MS/Data Protection API, I am using my own encryption ...
  • Re: Microsoft credential cache for 802.1x authentication
    ... however it is stored in the registry it has to be ... reversible encryption, not a hash, or it would not be able to use the MS ... > What have other institutions done with 802.1x authentication via ...
    (microsoft.public.internet.radius)
  • Re: Which is more secure RC2 or RC4 ?
    ... in the registry) they are secure enough for your purposes, ... This will IMHO be the only benefit encryption offers ... RC2 is entirely appropriate for this level of security. ... 64 bit ought to be all right too in order to avoid making encryption ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Zero configuration registry settings
    ... Things like network keys and passwords are, of course, encrypted ... since that encryption would be useless if it worked the same on every ... Export the registry, with no attempt to set up WZC parameters in it, from ... configuration service will provide an automatic binding to the network I ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)