Re: SQL 2005 Login

Buc,

Note that in SQL 2005 SQL Logins are case sensitive.

Blog article below has a good table on the different Error States in a 18456
error state recorded in the SQL Server ErrorLog
http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/02/21/536201.aspx

cheers,
Andy.
<Buc> wrote in message news:OU9Y6ZIRGHA.256@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am very frusted.. I have a vb.net app that used to work fine with SQL
2000.
I installed a new server with SQL 2005, and the new vb.net app fails login
from any workstation. Every username I create in SQL fails login from
vb.net app, EXCEPT sa. I guess the app is OK since just replacing the
username and password in the connection string with sa clears the problem
up. What do I have to do to make a single user work. I have 2 diff DB
servers and the same happens on both. Here's what I've done so far, is
this wrong? What else do I need to do?
TRIED THIS:
Created a user 'testuser' in the management console under databases >
security >logins
( I even made the user a sysadmin, if that makes any difference)
Went under the TESTDB > SECURITY >LOGINS , made sure he was there and made
him under the general tab a db_owner.
All I get is login failed for user 'testuser' from my vb.net app, of
course replacing the user/pass with the sa account connects fine. I would
rather not use the sa account credentials from my remote app.

TRIED THIS:
I then tried this did the same stuff above with a new user called
'testuser1' but made hime a local windows user on the standalaone DB
server. No effect, same error...

Ideas are appreciated.. This is driving me nuts..
Thanks BUC

  • Re: SQL Server Dual Processors INSERTS take long time
    ... Just because a server ... all you might try adding a clustered index on the table. ... Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP ... > for other parts of the app, that need to be done in real time. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: SQL User SID format?
    ... When you move databases to another server, you can remap users to logins ... capability to remap a user to a login with new ALTER USER syntax - I ... The new ALTER USER syntax works for remapping both SQL and Windows ... this means you already have access to a SID from the syslogins catalog; ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: SQL Server on XP Home Network
    ... The sa account is the system administrator "God" account witihin SQL ... This account is a SQL-Server login. ... You might be able to use Enterprise Manager to go in and create a new SQL ... Select the "SQL Server Authentication" ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Microsoft SQL server error:233
    ... Right click on the Instance name - Server Properties ... Restart the SQL Service. ... Login as an Administrator into the SqL Server ... A connection was successfully established with the server, ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Re: SQL Server 2000 Replication Agents Credentials
    ... the snapshot agent IS using sql login to connect to the ... The pull distribution agent IS using sql ... Do you know where SQL Server 2000 saves the sql ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication)