Re: SQL thinks it's Slammer

Do you have SQL Server named instances on the server? If so, you need to
apply SP4 individually to each because each instance is largely independent
of the others. I ask because of the statement you made:

It's when multiple instaces are run we get this error:

Were you not referring to SQL Server instances?

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

"Chris" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks for your reply Dan. When you say each instance how do you mean? SP4
was run from the setup and it just applied it to SQL Server 2000. Wouldn't
this apply it to everything SQL related? And how do you mean each much be
patched? What do I have to do here. Hope you can help. Thanks

"Dan Guzman" wrote:

Your original post specified that you have SQL Server 2000 SP4 installed.
Verify you have installed SP4 on all instances; each must be patched
individually.

--

It's when multiple instaces are run we get this error:
-2147467259 (80004005)
[Microsoft]ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Socket]
General network error. Check your network documentation.

It drops the network connection when it's overloaded and thinks it's
the
slammer causing this. Or so we believe. Any thoughts on this, or
whether
there is a fix? Thanks

"Chris" wrote:

Can SQL server 2000 think that the slammer virus is affecting it and
start
shutting it's services down, or limiting it's service? I was told that
sql
2000 SP4 has the slammer fix, and if multiple queries are used the SQL
server
thinks it's the slammer virus. Is this true? Is there a way to prevent
this
if so?

  • RE: Does Slammer effect my VPN?
    ... the "Slammer" worm is an Internet worm ... and begin evaluation and deployment of SQL Server 2000 SP3 or MSDE ... Check to see if there is a real network problem or if you have any ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Event 5782 from NETLOGON on server boot
    ... Having done this several times in the past, I made a point of running SFC ... tend to get noticed by SFC if I reapply SP4. ... I could end up with a pristine log. ... As for load at boot time, I have SQL Server 2000 and IIS. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4
    ... applications to run on 64-bit platforms using the Windows on Windows ... SP4 addresses specific issues discovered in SQL Server ... SP4 is also the first service pack to service the ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)
  • Re: Neuinstallation
    ... Längerfristig solltest Du auch die anderen Rechner auf SP4 bringen. ... > Nach der Neuinstallation liess sich der Enterprise Manager nicht mehr ... SQL Server Verzeichnis existiereren. ... > Mit dem Aufspielen von SP2 und SP3 geht dieser Fehler auch nicht weg. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.sqlserver)
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2000 SP4 is open for Public Beta Testing
    ... Microsoft SQL Server 2000 SP4 is open for Public Beta Testing ... Sign up to test drive the newest service pack for SQL Server 2000 give us ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)