Security Schema Questions

I have a sql05 instance and a Windows Group called developers
I want the developers to be able to alter databases.

So I
Created a server login for the windows Developer Group
Created a User Mapping for the model Database
Added Database role membership for model: db_owner

Then I created a new db called test
The developers could view the data and run statements like "alter
Schema".
However, the developers could not create a new table.

I then created a new database user for one of the developers in Test
and gave him db_owner role membership.
The user could then create tables.

Why could the developers run some commands but not create tables even
when they were mapped to dbo_owner?

Also why does db_denydatareader have a schema?

thanks,

  • Re: database driven applications: how should DBAs allow developers to mutate the database?
    ... Developers can select from the database in anyway they want, but are provided no means to insert, update or delete database data. ... Even if you wanted to apply this philosophy in production, i'd suggest giving developers free access to the databases they use for day-to-day development - but enforce the rules in the nightly build system, so they learn not to use those powers in the code they check in. ... A MODEL is created via a well-normalized E-R model whose integrity is guaranteed via well-documented mutation via DBA-developed stored procedures only. ... my visceral reaction is that you are exactly the kind of nutjob DBA who makes actually developing software a nightmare. ...
    (comp.databases)
  • Re: Datebase needed for tracking of drugs for a fire department!
    ... including for MS Access database development. ... There are good developers, don't get me wrong, but one has to ... Excel makes you think in math calculations. ... Shelf life of the drug could be loaded once and then access ...
  • Re: WHY
    ... I've been working a lot longer than that LoL ... re-creating the same spreadsheet, ... > I'm sure the database admins do all the work at, say, Boeing and Airbus, ... > Or perhaps you meant implicitly to restrict your remarks to developers. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)
  • Re: OT website database programmer needed
    ... from/to a large database, even initially the database will be GBs of data ... I would be concerned from your side that I was paying an appropriate hourly rate for a small team of developers to create an infrastructure that supports your scalability goals without going through major growing pains. ... Twitter runs on Ruby On Rails, but for performance reasons as the business scaled, they replaced parts of the Rails modular infrastructure with Scala components. ... Django is to Python what Rails is to Ruby; Django is less evolved and I'm not much of a fan, but that said, the Django developer mentality seems to be far more patient and professional. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)
  • Re: compilers
    ... Pick is superb for the database and the business rules, ... I'll be happy to look hard at OpenQM if I ... This means that whatever back-end database I have to use needs to support ... positions that I do because they are developers, ...
    (comp.databases.pick)