Re: Could not obtain information

From: Gary D. Rezek (gary.d.rezek_at_REMOVEsdstate.edu)
Date: 11/18/05

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:28:29 -0600

Hi Andy,
Yes both boxes are on the same domain and have the same user accounts in them. As far as I can tell the 2 boxes
are near identical with their setups. The AD guys have set a lockout policy of 5 bad logins within 15 minutes
locks the account out for 15 minutes.
Thanks.

gdr

"Andy Davis" <activecrypt@gmail.com> wrote in message news:873FAFB3-F604-45F4-913F-EAF6D2C0ACA0@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> Is both SQL box on same Domain ? are they have the same User Account in it ?
> Have you set Password Policy for Account Lockout ?if so ,after how many
> attempts it locks account ? i suspect that theirs is no such user ..
>
> Regards
> --
> Andy Davis
> Active Crypt Team
> --------------------------------------------SQL Server Encryption
> Decryption Software
> http://www.activecrypt.com
>

> "Gary D. Rezek" wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> We've just recently changed/upgraded server boxes and went from Windows 2000 Server to Windows 2003 Server
>> with
>> SQLServer 2000 sp4 installed on both. The Startup Service Account settings for both SQLServer and SQLServer
>> Agent is 'System Account'. On the original machine backups worked without a flaw, but with the new machine I
>> receive the following error:
>>
>> <<error from SQL Agent Error log>>
>> [298] SQLServer Error: 8198, Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'DOMAINNAME\username'.
>> [SQLSTATE 42000] (ConnIsLoginSysAdmin)
>>
>> When remoted into the new machine with 'DOMAINNAME\username' and doing an "exec xp_logininfo
>> 'DOMAINNAME\username'" in Query Analyzer I get the same error as follows:
>>
>> <<error from Query Analyzer>>
>> Server: Msg 8198, Level 16, State 24, Procedure xp_logininfo, Line 58
>> Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'DOMAINNAME\username'.
>>
>> I've looked at kb241643 and kb834124 and realize there is a workaround, but this same account gets locked by
>> AD
>> at least a couple of times a day when I try and use it to login to this and/or other machines I administer
>> (this
>> account is an admin account used strictly for administration purposes, I have an individual account that I
>> use
>> for my desktop and laptop). It seems to have began shortly after I had to change the password for this
>> account.
>> I believe, the error and the lockout are related (my inexperience shows as I do not have anything concrete to
>> make that assumption) so I would really like to know why this is happening and how to correct it.
>> Thank you.
>>
>> gdr
>> --
>> Gary D. Rezek
>> University Nerworking Systems and Services
>> South Dakota State University

Relevant Pages

  • Re: update queries and forms
    ... The fields I have on it are all text boxes. ... They are ACCGRPID (the unique identifier for each account) (The name of this ... ACCGRPNAME (the name of the account) ... I also have the command button which is called CommandEQUpdate. ...
  • Re: mandrake 10 installed OK w/out inserting UN & PW, but now insists I login USING them.... :-(
    ... > I never entered any during the CD install (left those boxes all blank), ... It is not lilo asking you a username/password, ... and set your root password. ... I usually open an account for my daily use, ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • RE: Display Value In Forms Textbox
    ... I created a form with 4 text boxes, ... Private Sub txtAccountNumber_Exit ... 'don't do anything until there are entries in Account Number and Currency ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • lost messages with mail.app 6 and gmail
    ... Three in boxes and three sent boxes showed up in under Mailboxes. ... Then I noticed another Gmail account at the bottom of the pane. ... It had Gmail boxes names as above, and one saying something like All Mail. ... I had a POP account, but Apple and Google uploaded messages from my disk without giving me a choice, then deleted them from my disk when I deleted them from their server. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Email
    ... > no not hotmail account - should there be some setting set ... >>You never answered if that sender was using a Hotmail ... >>> No boxes are checked and still cannot receive. ...