Recommended Approach

From: Dan Johnson (johnson_at_milehi.com)
Date: 11/10/05

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:24:53 -0700

Our company has a web site hosted by a third party with a connection to our
SQL Server. The SQL Server resides locally behind the company's firewall.

We write software and would like to have our app (written primarily in VB6)
occasionally get small amounts of data from our SQL Server. For example,
when the customer/user wants to get the most recent update to our software,
we would want to retrieve the effective date of the user's subscription to
make sure they qualify for the update.

It is my understanding there are two approaches to doing this. One, we can
make a direct ADO connection from the user's PC to our SQL Server. Two, we
could (using RDS???) use our web sites connection to process the data
request, and return whatever info to the user's PC.

Both alternatives require opening up a port on our firewall to allow SQL
access (good, bad, ugly???). I would tend to think that using the first
alternative is preferable because it seems more efficient (if we're going to
open up the port, may as well streamline the user's connection as much as
possible...).

Can anyone point me in the right direction for analysis here? Would be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SQL Connection String using Domain Account
    ... Web.Config but now have the problem that the web site will not run under ... you can have a username/password set up in sql server - but this would ... The DBA has given me a Domain user account with rights to ... I am unable to get a connection to the database. ...
  • Re: Connectivity Issues - Bizzare
    ... Sounds like firewall to me. ... >I am trying to connect to a default instance of SQL Server 2000 Enterprise ... I create a SqlDataAdapter on the web form, ... I take the same connection string from the web app, ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Re: Error "SQL Server does not allow remote connections"
    ... The application could not connect to the sql server db. ... network is blocking the connection. ... SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 ... integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject) +737554 ...
  • Re: Connection from remote computer to network SQL Server
    ... There is no firewall on the W2K machine acting as the SQL server. ... I tried making the SQL machine a "trusted" on the router. ... connection works. ... To find the IP address of your computer inside the network, ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • ADO.net Orcas Samples Install Problem
    ... An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. ... When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the ... SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, ... or am I better off with a full SQL Server install. ...