Re: Changing Table Owner and user Owner

From: Uri Dimant (urid_at_iscar.co.il)
Date: 11/07/05

Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:23:53 +0200

Roy,shalom

Pls read this article from BOL

Database Owner (dbo)
The dbo is a user that has implied permissions to perform all activities in
the database. Any member of the sysadmin fixed server role who uses a
database is mapped to the special user inside each database called dbo.
Also, any object created by any member of the sysadmin fixed server role
belongs to dbo automatically.

For example, if user Andrew is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role
and creates a table T1, T1 belongs to dbo and is qualified as dbo.T1, not as
Andrew.T1. Conversely, if Andrew is not a member of the sysadmin fixed
server role but is a member only of the db_owner fixed database role and
creates a table T1, T1 belongs to Andrew and is qualified as Andrew.T1. The
table belongs to Andrew because he did not qualify the table as dbo.T1.

The dbo user cannot be deleted and is always present in every database.

Only objects created by members of the sysadmin fixed server role (or by the
dbo user) belong to dbo. Objects created by any other user who is not also a
member of the sysadmin fixed server role (including members of the db_owner
fixed database role):

  a.. Belong to the user creating the object, not dbo.

  b.. Are qualified with the name of the user who created the object.

"Roy Goldhammer" <roy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello there
>
> I'm using Windows authentication, and i'm suddenly don't member of Dbo
> owners.
>
> What i need to change on the server in order so when i create new object
> it's written as dbo and not as my name?
>
> after i change that how can i change the owner of tables, views and store
> procedures to be dbo owner?
>
> --
> רועי גולדהמר
> עתיד הנדסת תוכנה
> טל' 03-5611606
> פלא' 050-7709399
> אימייל: roy@atidsm.co.il

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Permission to Users under DB
    ... public and db_owners database roles. ... The user mapped to dbo ... as being a member of db_owners role although the default ... permissions in the database will be the same. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Default User
    ... a member of the db_owner Role. ... The dbo is a user that has implied permissions to perform all activities ... database is mapped to the special user inside each database called dbo. ... any object created by any member of the sysadmin fixed server role ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: When creating a new table, owner is DBO I need another user
    ... database is mapped to the special user inside each database called dbo. ... any object created by any member of the sysadmin fixed server role ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Default User
    ... database is mapped to the special user inside each database called dbo. ... any object created by any member of the sysadmin fixed server role ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Roles & Users
    ... dbo is the database owner. ... If you created the database and/or are a member ... of the sysadmin fixed server role all object that you create will be owned ... > I have setup SQL with Windows Authenication but I only have one user in ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)