Re: SQL 2005 dbo user issue

From: Kalen Delaney (replies_at_public_newsgroups.com)
Date: 11/04/05

    Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:43:09 -0800

    Who does it say is the owner on the files page of the properties dialog?

    --
    HTH
    Kalen Delaney, SQL Server MVP
    "TomT" <tomt@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
    > Kalen,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. I tried this, and it did change the db owner to sa,
    > but I still get the same error when clicking the Database Diagrams folder:
    > "Database diagram support objects cannot be installed becuase this
    > database
    > does not have a valid owner. To continue, first use the Files page of the
    > Database Properties dialog box or the alter authorization statement to set
    > the database owner to a valid login, then add the database diagram support
    > objects."
    >
    > "Kalen Delaney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi TomT
    >>
    >> Open up a query window, and change the owner using sp_changedbowner:
    >>
    >> USE whichever_database
    >> EXEC sp_changedbowner 'sa'
    >>

    >> --
    >> HTH
    >> Kalen Delaney, SQL Server MVP
    >> www.solidqualitylearning.com
    >>

    >> "TomT" <tomt@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
    >> >I brought into SLQ Server 2005 our existing production data for testing,
    >> >by
    >> > attaching the mdf and ldf files. I am doing testing prior to upgrading
    >> > our
    >> > existing SQL 2000 servers.
    >> >
    >> > The problem is the dbo account that came over appears to be incomplete.
    >> > discovered this when I clicked on the Database Diagrams folder, and got
    >> > message saying the database does not have a valid owner. I checked, as
    >> > recommended, the properties for the database, and it does show a valid
    >> > account as owner (not dbo).
    >> >
    >> > However, when checking the properties of the dbo account, I see that
    >> > there
    >> > is no Login name associated, like, e.g. the AdventureWorks db which has
    >> > sa
    >> > entered.
    >> >
    >> > (The dbo account on the SQL 2000 server for that database has my login
    >> > (which is also a domain admin account) as the Login name. On the SLQ
    >> > 2005
    >> > server, this same account (mine) exists properly.)
    >> >
    >> > I am unable to modify the problem dbo account, and I'm guessing this
    >> > issue
    >> > is causing the problem I get with the Database Diagrams. Is there
    >> > anyway
    >> > repair this account, I'm concerned there might be other problems I
    >> > haven't
    >> > run into yet caused by this problem account.
    >> >
    >> > thanks for any assistance and advice,
    >> >
    >> > TomT

    • Re: Nmae of Profile in XP Home
      ... Settings, its name is not Daave, but rather it is still Owner. ... The correct way really is to immediately abandon the Owner profile ... To change the name of your Documents and Settings\UserName folder: ... 1- Log on to your account and use the SET USERPROFILE command to ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Swen Virus
      ... used in an NNTP post by the owner, that he is getting swamped, as you are, ... and the poor sap is getting bounces back to his address ... from automated systems that don't care if it is a forgery. ... I have only sent three manual requests for confirmation from the account ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)
    • Re: User accounts
      ... Just copy over the ones you want to your own folder. ... "owner" folder (the system does not allow for renaming of the user account ... If your account is using the "jack" username folder, ... Windows help - www.rickrogers.org ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
    • Re: I am unable to switch ownership of files in a prior C: Hard drive
      ... Home didn't have the SECURITY tab in Explorer properties. ... You needed PRO to take ownership of files. ... owner and edit and changed the owner to that of my VISTA administrator ... account by selecting as a new owner my new admin account, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)
    • Re: how to revoke owner rights in a directory or file ?
      ... To assign another person/account to be the "owner", ... be assigned with security permissions "Full Control". ... Those numbers are the SID of a deleted account. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)