Setting SQL Permissions - please respond to this simple question!!

From: Edwinah63 (edwinah_at_customercare.com.au)
Date: 11/03/05

Date: 2 Nov 2005 18:40:44 -0800

pardon for this question but i wish to clarify how to set user
permissions on tables on SQL Server 2000.

for table MyTable, i have:

* user A who needs read only access and,
* user B who needs read/write access.

via the GUI, i have:

* made both users A & B part of the public role - this seems
compulsory!!!!

* have granted read/write permission to public
* have specifically revoked insert/update/delete for user A

can someone confirm that i have done this correctly? if not, what is
the correct way?

regards

Edwinah63

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Newbie: I dont understand user permissions for table access
    ... > My database is remote to my workstation. ... > tables/fields WITHOUT specifying anything in the permissions dialogs? ... >> HOW are you connecting to SQL Server? ... what rights/permissions have been granted to the PUBLIC role? ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: Public role exists for any new login in sql server 2005
    ... public and deny's override grants, so no one would have access. ... Deny any permissions to public role ... I have a query regarding the Default Public role to any New SQL Server ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Remove permissions in default Public Role?
    ... security practice to remove all permissions in the default Public Role in ... SQL Server 2000? ... I create my own defined roles for each database and am ... assumming it's good to remove every single permission in the Public Role ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: How do I protect a Table and only give Specific Windows Accounts Access to it?
    ... DENY permissions always take precedence, so if you DENY to public, anybody ... in the PUBLIC role has no permission. ... > have that much permissions on the SQL Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • ADP, Application Role, and objects
    ... The above link is to an atricle on how to implement SQL Server Application ... After you connect with your ADP, fire a bit of code to set the ... third party tools to view the data on the same database. ... Scenario 1 - If I explicitly grant permissions on that object to the user ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)