Re: Permissions!

From: Dan Guzman (guzmanda_at_nospam-online.sbcglobal.net)
Date: 09/05/05

    Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:52:10 -0500

    > Login failed for user 'ARPAN\IUSR_ARPAN'.

    The 'ARPAN\IUSR_ARPAN' login referenced in the error message is the Windows
    account used for anonymous access. This account is used because your web
    application is configured for anonymous access instead of integrated
    security. Is this an intranet app? The details on how to use Windows
    authentication under the end user's security context depend on the version
    of IIS and whether you are running AD. You can search for relevant MSDN
    articles at http://msdn.microsoft.com/

    > There's another question I would like to ask you regarding Permissions
    > in SQL Server. After executing the queries you had provided, I am now
    > able to restrict users' access to the different columns but any user
    > can access the different views & play with the records by viewing the
    > records in Enterprise Manager. Is there any way to overcome this?

    Access to the data is limited to the permissions you have granted regardless
    of the method used to access the data.

    - user must have a valid SQL Login
    - user must have been granted database access
    - user must have permssions, direct or via role membership, on the objects

    http://www.answers.com/topic/imho

    --
    Hope this helps.
    Dan Guzman
    "Arpan" <arpan_de@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Your suggestions have indeed been very helpful, Dan. Thanks for the
    > same.
    >
    > I tried using the ConnectionString you have cited in an ASP application
    > but it throws the following error:

    > Login failed for user 'ARPAN\IUSR_ARPAN'.
    >
    > Why this error?
    >
    > There's another question I would like to ask you regarding Permissions
    > in SQL Server. After executing the queries you had provided, I am now
    > able to restrict users' access to the different columns but any user
    > can access the different views & play with the records by viewing the
    > records in Enterprise Manager. Is there any way to overcome this?
    >
    > BTW, what is IMHO?
    >
    > Thanks once again,
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Arpan

    • Re: VS2005: SQL Debugging "T-SQL execution ended without debugging. You may not have sufficient
      ... > account also must be a member of the sysadmin role in the target SQL ... and the Windows firewall is disabled on both client & server. ... to the remote SQL Server 2005. ... But I'm still getting the "T-SQL execution ended without debugging. ...
      (microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging)
    • Re: Utter madness!
      ... It is just Windows security stuff. ... You can get a trusted connection back to SQL server. ... ASP.NET account (either processModel or app pool identity depending on ...
    • Re: Passthrough authenication w/ SQL trusted connection
      ... separate connection will be used for each security context (each user ... account will have it's own pool). ... if you are using a Windows 2000 Domain, ... backend SQL Server. ...
    • Re: Search services not available
      ... Let me clarify that our SQL server uses Windows Authentication, ... account, even if it was just for now to get it working, that would be easier ... I have configured the Search service to use this ...
    • connecting to sql server with windows authentication
      ... using windows authentication. ... Use delegation to leverage the current user's account. ... development machine, a live machine, and local installs of IIS for all your ... our DBA wants to keep SQL Server authentication ...