Re: Disk level encryption

From: The Poster (nospam_at_nospam_dontyoudare.net)
Date: 07/15/05

    Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:30:05 +0100

    Hi Mike,

    The reason I want to encrypt the contents of the disk (remember its a file
    server not a database server) is because its a requirement for the PCI
    Credit Card security standard.

    NetLib seem to lead the way when it comes to providing encryption software,
    and they understand the security standard.

    Regards,
    Steve.

    "Mike Epprecht (SQL MVP)" <mike@epprecht.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Ask the vendor if they support SQL Server on it.
    >
    > Any reason why you want to encrypt the disk? If a user with the correct
    > permissions copies the DB off that disk, your data is open. Your backup is
    > open too.
    >
    > Rather encrypt the data in the application before you save it into the DB.
    > Then only the application can get to it.
    >
    > Regards
    > --------------------------------
    > Mike Epprecht, Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    > Zurich, Switzerland
    >
    > IM: mike@epprecht.net
    >
    > MVP Program: http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >
    > Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/epprecht/
    >
    > "The Poster" <nospam@nospam_dontyoudare.net> wrote in message
    > > G/Day forum,
    > >
    > > I've been asked to find a disk level encryption software, that will be
    > > installed on a Windows 2000 based file server, and basically encrypt
    > > credit
    > > card data thats
    > > stored on disk. In this case EFS isn't sufficient.
    > >
    > > So far I've only looked at one product: NetLib Encryptionizer DE (
    > > http://www.netlib.com/file-encryption.shtml ). Does anyone have any
    > > opinions
    > > on this product? Alternatives?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Steve.

    • Re: Disk level encryption
      ... The reason I want to encrypt the contents of the disk (remember its a file ... server not a database server) is because its a requirement for the PCI ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: Disk level encryption
      ... The reason I want to encrypt the contents of the disk (remember its a file ... server not a database server) is because its a requirement for the PCI ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • RE: Geli questions
      ... I'd like to use geli to encrypt *everything* on ... disk from the machine, he can't gain any data off of it ... an SSL based VPN server at my central office. ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: Disk level encryption
      ... > The reason I want to encrypt the contents of the disk (remember its a file ... >> Ask the vendor if they support SQL Server on it. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)