Re: patching

From: Jasper Smith (jasper_smith9_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 03/10/05

    Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:36:21 -0000

    Always test service packs before putting them into production. Although
    service packs go through more testing than hotfixes there are so many
    different environments out there that unless you test it in your specific
    environment you can't be sure you're not going to hit an issue. Certainly in
    our environment we have come across some very weird bugs just because of how
    we have our servers configured (weirdest one yet was down to having an
    affinity mask that was a multiple of 7 <g>)

    --
    HTH
    Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)
    "Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Mike,
    >
    > thanks for the answer.  I am getting flack for wanting to test Service
    > Packs
    > before they go into production.
    >
    > Rich
    >
    > "Mike Epprecht (SQL MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> A SP is a fully end to end tested release that implements fixes and
    >> enhancements to the base product. SP's are cumulative (then contain all
    >> prior SP's fixes plus more).
    >>
    >> A Security patch is a hotfix that addresses high priority fixes that if
    >> not
    >> applied, could lead to compromised security.
    >>
    >> A Hotfix is an update, issued to fix a specific problem that somebody had
    >> encountered and Microsoft needs to fix as it could affect other users. A
    >> Hotfix has limited support and does not have the massive amount of
    >> regression testing as a Service Pack would as it is not possible in the
    >> short time frames needed.
    >>
    >> NEVER get a hotfix/SP/Security pack from any other source than Microsoft.
    >> Microsoft never e-mails files either. There is always a link to their
    >> site
    >> from where you can download it. You never know who has tampered with the
    >> files if you don't get them yourself from MS.
    >>
    >> With any release, always put it on test servers before production ones.
    >> Functionality can change or behavior you were used to could be altered in
    >> way that your applications were not expecting.
    >>
    >> www.microsoft.com/sql
    >> www.microsoft.com/security
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Mike Epprecht, Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    >> Zurich, Switzerland
    >>
    >> IM: mike@epprecht.net
    >>
    >> MVP Program: http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >>
    >> Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/epprecht/
    >>
    >> "Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > What is the differnce between a Service Pack and Security Patches that
    >> come
    >> > out over time?  What about Hot Fixes?  Is Microsoft the only sources of
    >> > patches?  Should I test the patch on a demo server before I place it in
    >> > production or should I just trust Microsoft?

    • Re: patching
      ... prior SP's fixes plus more). ... A Security patch is a hotfix that addresses high priority fixes that if not ... NEVER get a hotfix/SP/Security pack from any other source than Microsoft. ... always put it on test servers before production ones. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
    • Re: Heres an idea.....
      ... >> Because there's too much of it to go test for every hotfix. ... >> customer for use in a production environment. ... >> create a Service Pack, ... I expect problems in the framework to be fxed. ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
    • Re: KB831464 will not install
      ... Exchange service packs are cumulative. ... mailbox after they apply a hotfix or a service pack to Exchange Server ... Install Windows 2003 SP1. ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • Re: Schema is too old
      ... Problem was a WSS hotfix - go figure. ... > Hotfix 883919 is not installed on the production server. ... > Schema on production is 6.0.2.6411 ...
    • Re: Where to download hotfix 830004
      ... Hotfixes do not receive the level of regression testing as service packs and ... other public updates. ... hotfix will break something else; you use it at your own risk. ...
      (microsoft.public.outlook.general)