Re: Using SSL with named instance

From: Ajey (ajey5_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 03/07/05

    Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:48:25 +0530

    I can connect to the named instance using Enterprise Manager but not through
    Query Analyser (on the same SQL Server with 'Force Protocol Encryption' for
    client connections)

    "Ajey" <ajey5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I created the certificate on the target SQL Server. Here I am having
    > two instances (default & named). In the connection string I used 'Use
    > Encryption for data=true'. I also added the CA of server under 'Trusted
    Root
    > CA' on client. Now, from client side I could connect to default instance
    and
    > not to named instance. Then I enabled 'Force PRotocol Encryption' on
    client
    > side. Through Query Analyser, I could connect to default instance but not
    > to named instance. Then I enabled 'Force Protocol Encryption' for clients
    > (using client network utility) on the Server itself. There also i could
    > connect only to default instance and not to the named instance.
    > For named instance i am getting the following error:
    > Server: Msg 18, Level 16, State 1
    > [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBMSLPCN]SSL Security error.
    >
    > I followed the following steps to enable the encryption:
    > - Installed the 'Certificate' service through Add\Remove and created
    the
    > Enterprise Root CA
    > - Loaded the 'Certificates' snapin and in the 'Personal' folder
    created
    > the certificate for the machine.
    > - On the client in 'Trusted Root CA' i imported the CA from server.
    >
    > Is there anything I am missing?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Ajey

    • Named Instance
      ... I couldn't connect to named instance in my client machine... ... error messange.. ... SQL Server Doesn't exist or Access denied. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clients)
    • highly appreciated.
      ... I am trying to connect the named instance from my client computer... ... easily connect the default instance of my remote machine but when I tried to ... connect through named instance it gave me an error that SQL Server doesn't ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clients)
    • Re: Connecting Dynamic Port from Client
      ... > Only named instances of SQL Server can use the dynamic port allocation ... > And I tried named instance network and that's successed... ... Alias to be defined on the client side and defining a static ... Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server) ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)
    • Re: Named Instance
      ... >I couldn't connect to named instance in my client machine... ... > error messange.. ... SQL Server Doesn't exist or Access denied. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clients)
    • Re: SQL Server Password In Transit
      ... You can enable the Force Protocol Encryption option on the server, ... the client via the Client Network Utility also. ... send my login credentials to SQL Server, ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)