Re: SQL Security & User-Level Access

From: Ian O'Betz (webmaster_at_(NoSpam)premier-ed.com)
Date: 03/04/05

    Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:44:02 -0700

    I'm creating the project from scratch (not upgrading from Access), so no, I
    didn't use the built-in user-level security. I will checkout that resource
    though. Thanks for your help.

    --
    Ian O'Betz
    Clear Results
    "Mary Chipman [MSFT]" <mchip@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Did you use the built-in user-level security with Access? If so, then
    > SQL Server security works much the same way, with the ability to add
    > users to groups (called database roles in SQLS) where they inherit the
    > permissions granted to the role. You never want to grant permissions
    > directly to users because it becomes an administrative nightmare.
    > There are good resources on MSDN, see
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/SQL/sqlsecurity/default.aspx to start with.
    > The major difference is that SQLS security is actually effective, and
    > failure to implement it correctly can compromise more than just the
    > database, so you'll want to learn as much as you can and plan
    > carefully before forging ahead.
    >
    > --Mary
    >
    > On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:40:41 -0700, "Ian O'Betz"
    > <webmaster@(NoSpam)premier-ed.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I've been asked to create an online database for my organization with
    Access
    > >as the front end. I'm pretty good with Access and moderate with SQL. In
    the
    > >database, I was told that different users need to have access to certain
    > >tables and columsn in those tables. Some users need to be able to create
    new
    > >users to have access. So my admin user needs to grant "grant" permission
    > >another user.
    > >
    > >The users, however, are stored in a table in the database called Members.
    > >Certain members in the Members table need to have access to the database.
    > >
    > >My question(s): Where is a good place to start when designing something
    like
    > >this? Is there some kind of add-in I can import and use or is there some
    > >other direction I should be headed? Any direction is much appreciated.

    • Re: SQL Server 2005 Resource Database
      ... any links or useful articles describing these issues? ... Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP ... One thing I've heard about causing problems if resource files aren't where master.mdf ... >>>you move the master database, you must also move the Resource database to the ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
    • Re: Moving Resource Databases
      ... FCB::Open: Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file ... occurred while creating or opening file 'S:\Microsoft SQL ... After this I simply moved the Resours database and log file back to ... I have tried moving all system databases (and Resource DB) on a 2005 ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
    • Re: Moving Resource Databases
      ... The resource db has to be on the sale location as master.ldf. ... Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP ... After this I simply moved the Resours database and log file back to ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
    • Re: SQL Server 2005 Resource Database
      ... The article I posted is for SQL 2005. ... master and resource databases remain together is new with 2008. ... "The Resource database depends on the location of the master database. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
    • Re: Sage Line 100
      ... Access to the database is not a problem, but avoid to use the cbase format from Sage. ... Then it's a standard MS SQL Server database. ... Can anyone confirm this or does any one know of any resource to allow me to integrate without any stupid Dev centre. ...