Re: EM does not display Login Name

From: Simon (Simon_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/28/05

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:53:03 -0800

Hi Joachim,

Yes, sp_helpuser does return null. However, we are using a script with the
mentioned sp's to add users to this database. Way the app works is by a user
entering details passed through to the script (sp). Some work, some don't.

We have two machines (Prod & Test) and the results can differ. UserA might
be fine on Prod but not on Test, UserB might befine on Test but not on Prod.

Repeatedly dropping and adding the user gets consistent results on each
machine, whether that be by script, Query Analyser, Enterprise Manager. I
can spot no common denominator, and have found no way to make a "nulling"
user not-null.

Only other thing that I can think worth mentioning: at the Security | Logins
level we have added "Domain\All Users" to grant all users server access.
Database access is granted on a user by user basis (via the script mentioned
earlier.)

Simon.

"Joachim Hofmann" wrote:

> Simon wrote:
>
> > Name Login Name Database Access
> > User1 Domain\U1 Permit
> > User2 Permit
> > User3 Domain\U3 Permit
> > ^- no login name for Domain\U2
>
> Simon,
>
> we are encountering the same effect, when I do a RESTORE from a Database Backup
> from a Server which is not in the Windows Domain. I suppose it has something to
> do with an orphaned User SID.
> I suppose when you enter
>
> use mydb
> sp_helpuser
>
> you get NULL in the Login column.
>
> Suggestion: Use a script with 'sp_dropuser' resp. 'sp_revokedbaccess' and 'grantdbaccess' to delete and rebuild the
> user(s).
> If the DB owner user dbo is also void, use 'sp_changedbowner' to reassign it.
>

> Joachim

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Get custom database properties from an Access database
    ... It doesn't matter if the VBScript process drags, since it is an independent process and so will have no effect on the user's interaction with the database. ... The user can skip merrily along, doing whatever he needs while the script invisibly figures out the current situation in the background and decides what to do about it. ... It does, but I've run into issues other places on this same network, where users needed a drive letter to a server. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: Get custom database properties from an Access database
    ... write the script to look for an available letter, ... If you're concerned about another drive letter causing ... will have no effect on the user's interaction with the database. ... As for the server, yes, that would definitely be the way to go. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: Get custom database properties from an Access database
    ... will write the script to look for an available letter, ... If you're concerned about another drive letter causing ... will have no effect on the user's interaction with the database. ... As for the server, yes, that would definitely be the way to go. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • [NEWS] IBM Informix Web DataBlade Local Root by Design
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... that ease development of "intelligent", interactive, Web-enabled database ... person who has access to change the Perl script. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • RE: Need some MySQL query help...
    ... attempting to run the script: ... passed to the database. ... passwd entry to the current database entry. ...
    (perl.dbi.users)