Re: Linked Server connection Problem

From: Jose Molina (rcmaniac23_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 01/21/05

    Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:20:30 -0800

    Hi Alan,
    I agree that the post should be here, but just in case I thought you might
    be able to get some additional information there.

    Here is a thought... were there any updates recently that changed MDAC in
    any way? My experience with MDAC has been that it is VERY temperamental.
    Go figure...:)

    Have you tried connecting from EM on other machines? The server itself? If
    another machine works fine, check the MDAC version of the machine working
    and compare it the one that is currently not working. Try looking at:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataAccess. You can always rollback the MDAC
    version if need be on the machine you are having issues with. (That is if
    there is a saved rollback version)

    Check here for instructions on rolling back your MDAC version:
    http://whidbey.msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmdac/html/data_mdacinstall.asp

    I'll continue to check with you to make sure we have a resolution to this
    issue.

    Regards,
    -Jose

    "Alan Z. Scharf" <ascharf@grapevines.com> wrote in message
    > Jose,
    >
    > Thanks again for your reply.
    >
    > 1. Yes it was set up OK, because it was working for two months. I don't
    > mnd
    > your asking.
    > I had dropped and re-created several times.
    >
    > 2. The network administrator rebooted server last night, and now I can do
    > SELECT on linked server. in Query Analyzer.
    >
    > 3. Something still off though, because in EM when I click on Linked Server
    > tables or views in tree, I get
    >
    > Error 7399 OLE_DB Provider Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 reported an error.
    > IDB Initialize: Initialize returned 80004005.
    >
    > 4. I just found KB 818182
    >
    > PRB: Error Message: "Unspecified error" Occurs When SQL Server Accesses a
    > Linked Server That Uses Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Jet 4.0
    >

    > 5. This says using wrong version of Jet 4.0.
    >
    > I'll have to check this out. Still strange since was working for two
    > months!
    >
    > If problem persists I will try Connection group. I thought Security was
    > right one since that's where Linked Servers are.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Alan
    >
    > "Jose Molina" <rcmaniac23@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Alan,
    >> Have you tried dropping and recreating the linked server? Were there any
    >> group policies implemented around the time you started experiencing
    > issues?
    >> I'm not sure where else to look. Try a post on the
    >> microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect newsgroup to see if anybody else has
    >> experienced this issue.
    >>
    >> -Jose
    >>
    >> PS Not to be condescending, but is the linked server set up correctly?
    >>

    >> "Alan Z. Scharf" <ascharf@grapevines.com> wrote in message
    >> > Jose,
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your quick reply.
    >> >
    >> > 1. I looked in sysprocesses of SQLServer tryin to do the select on the
    >> > Access Linked Server, and there are indeed records with Pricess ID for
    >> > those
    >> > attempts.
    >> >
    >> > 2. I'll have to check with network admin about firewall logs.
    >> >
    >> > 3. Note1: This used to work! Does this fact help narrow down
    >> > anything?
    >> >
    >> > 4. Note2: From Access ADP, I can still import tables from the MDB.
    >> >
    >> > 5. Is it possible that something got trashed in system table?s I've
    > tried
    >> > dropping and recreating the Linked Server. It gets created, but still
    >> > same
    >> > problem.
    >> >
    >> > 6. I've tried both regular Windows path as well as UNC path. Access
> [...]

    • Re: No OLE DB providers listed when creating a Linked Server
      ... upgrades to W2K3. ... problem and stop W2K3 file protection from replacing it. ... > check your MDAC setup or try reinstalling whatever version of MDAC you ... >>I am having a problem trying to create a linked server. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
    • MDAC 2.8 on SQL 2000 Sp3a
      ... Any reason why MDAC 2.8 should NOT be installed on the above server? ... colleague has an error linking a Excel spreadsheet (linked server) and the ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
    • Re: No OLE DB providers listed when creating a Linked Server
      ... check your MDAC setup or try reinstalling whatever version of MDAC you ... component checker from: ... >I am having a problem trying to create a linked server. ... I am placing this in this forum because it has to do with Linked ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
    • Re: Linked Server connection Problem
      ... because in EM when I click on Linked Server ... > Hi Alan, ... > group policies implemented around the time you started experiencing ... >> dropping and recreating the Linked Server. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
    • Re: Linked Server connection Problem
      ... I looked in sysprocesses of SQLServer tryin to do the select on the ... Access Linked Server, and there are indeed records with Pricess ID for those ... > Hi Alan, ... > process ID has been generated by your request. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)