Re: Session Role??

From: Ross Presser (rpresser_at_imtek.com)
Date: 01/11/05

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:17:54 -0500

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:47:04 -0800, Greg wrote:

> When we switch the ORacle Application to SQL server, how do I do the above?
> I know SQL server have application role, but I don't want to use application
> role in this case.
> are there a way that the application can reset a user's role and this
> changes only good for its session, once log off, the default role takes over
> again?

I suppose you could automate the process of adding a user to a database
role when the app starts and removing them when it stops, but it's not a
good idea really. They could start the application, then while it's running
start up OSQL in another window and have unfettered access to the db.
Furthermore, there's no way to detect user logoff and do something then, so
you'd have to depend on the application nicely removing them from the
dabase role when they're done. If they reboot their machine or something
then the removal would never happen.

Can you explain your case for not using an application role?