Re: anti virus help

From: Tom Moreau (tom_at_dont.spam.me.cips.ca)
Date: 12/14/04

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:44:16 -0500

First of all, don't believe anything you read at Amazon. Competitors
routinely trash each others' products there. What I can tell you, though,
is that the tech support experience I have had with both companies is
dismal. They don't understand English very well and don't pay attention to
your problem. I eventually de-installed McAfee's SpamKiller out of
frustration and bought Norton. Norton's tech support is marginally better
than McAfee, IMHO. As for AV software, I prefer Norton over McAfee but I
still don't like their tech support.

--
Tom
Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA
"Mike Foreman" <mif1@pacbell.net> wrote in message
I not sure this forum is the right place for this question.
I am trying to find good anti-virus software for individual client use
in their homes.
I have never used any anti-virus software.
What we need is an anti-virus, possibly with a firewall and as little
annoyances as possible.
I read the customer reviews on Amazon for Norton and McCaffee.
I always read the lowest rated reviews first; I figure the manufacturer
writes the highest ones
I am discouraged by the negative reviews being so harsh for both these
products, especially about bad support, constant pop-up ads and
inability in some cases to detect viruses. Being aware of the Norton
reputation, going back years, it was a letdown.
Has anyone had good/bad experiences with these and have any recommendations.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: What is a good antivirus software?
    ... Hi all I have Norton Internet Security 2005 but I want to update my antivirus to prehaps Norton 2009 from ebay. ... Dose this happen alot or am I just lucky? ... least for that tech support person, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: norton 2005 av
    ... The recycler directory preserves deleted files so that they can be ... but just guessing that by 'office app' you ... | norton tech support really sucks. ... | Each time that I contacted tech support they gave me the same solution. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • norton 2005 av
    ... norton tech support really sucks. ... Whenever I open an office app, I get two dialog boxes "Please wait while ... Windows configures Norton antivirus 2005", then on top of that "Norton ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: norton 2005 av
    ... What did you think the recycler directory did? ... you need more info, that sounds like norton. ... or is was a corrupted def download and that I would need to ... > | Each time that I contacted tech support they gave me the same solution. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Difference between Amazon and ebuyer
    ... Try again - click click error too many redirects. ... "Our tech support line is now closed. ... won't be buying from ebuyer again. ... with no problem and once had a problem returning things to amazon (who I ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)