Re: restrict acces to server from lan

From: John Bell (jbellnewsposts_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/27/04

    Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:03:56 -0000

    Hi

    I am not quite sure what you are asking here. You don't say how they are
    connecting to the database server. Usually the connection string will
    specify which server you are going to connect to. Access to your database
    server/database will depend on the security that you put in place and you
    can restrict the access to your own application by using an application
    role.

    If the MSDE instance does not contain a copy of your database then there
    will not be able to run your application.

    John

    "E van Bergen" <evanbergen.no.spam@modderkolk.no.spam.nl> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I got a new SQL 2000 server running. Now we have some clients with local
    > msde's who are not allowed to connect to that server with their client.
    > Can
    > this be done? they need network acces and they need to be able op connect
    > that server using another application. So it's strictly their local engine
    > what they are not allowed to use to open that database on their local
    > system
    >

    > Sincerely
    >
    > evb

    • Re: DBIx::DBH - Perl extension for simplifying database connectio ns
      ... Only one of the Informix notations has a host name in it, ... that's technically not a host name but a server name - the distinction ... under the illusion that people who use Perl to access a database know ... The connection string is system-specific -- end of sob story. ...
      (perl.dbi.users)
    • Complicated Connection Problems bewteen ADP and SQL Server
      ... This database ... expertise for getting the user workstations talking to the SQL Server. ... connection would fail and the adp wouldn't be able to talk to the server. ... might be in my ADO connection string. ...
      (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
    • Complicated Connection Problem between ADP and SQL Server
      ... This database ... expertise for getting the user workstations talking to the SQL Server. ... connection would fail and the adp wouldn't be able to talk to the server. ... might be in my ADO connection string. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
    • Re: OLE DB connection string in SharePoint for Sybase ASA
      ... I wen to the Sybase site and found a reference to Connection String ... > where I WANT it to say Database Connections. ... > and up pops a Data Source Properties Window. ... > Server Error: An error occurred while retrieving the list of Databases ...
      (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
    • Re: Real time notification
      ... Thanks Sahil for detailed reply. ... > reaction was that I will use a database. ... > a) Logical - The central server informs the clients of a change. ...