Re: SQL Server - Enterprise Manager

From: John Bell (jbellnewsposts_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/20/04

    Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:44:32 -0000

    Hi

    Just giving people access to these is probably quite dangerous regardless of
    security! You may be violating your warantly? I would expect the payrole
    system to provide an interface of some sort for you to programme against and
    to return data that is consistent and will not block important transactions.

    The (EM) users access to the tables be determined by the access of the user
    that the server is registered with.

    John

    "Lavan" <mlrobertson@compdatasurveys.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > Our accounting package is ACCPAC Corporate Series running on SQL Server
    > 2000.
    > We want to allow our programmers access to the accounting A/R data base
    > tables to create custom applications for our accounting and sales depts
    > (in-house CRM popgram).
    >
    > The problem we will have and would like to resolve is the following:
    >
    > By using Enterprise Manager we are "back-dooring" our Accounting system
    > security and the programmers would have access to "all of the accounting
    > database tables".
    >
    > We would like to know if there's a way within Enterprise Manger to
    > password
    > protect the "payroll tables" allowing the programmers access to the
    > remaining
    > tables.
    >
    > In a nut shell - does Enterprise Manager have the capabilitiy to restrict
    > access to the database tables on a table-by-table basis? If so, how is it
    > done.
    >
    > Thanks for your assistance!
    > --
    > L. Robertson

    • Re: Thou shalt have no other gods before the ANSI C standard
      ... >> are sold a year, then guess how many embedded systems are sold a year. ... > When's the last time someone tried to exploit a security hole in the ... Too many programmers are hearing about buffer ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)
      ... Information Security Engineer ... > IMHO it is TIME to sue corporations like microsoft for their stupidity ... they're sending all their programmers ... interpreted languages, meaning .net. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: HardBound and SoftBound (was "The State of Software")
      ... We need to find places, bottlenecks if you will, that all or most codes pass through, where security constraints can be enforced. ... The compiler / JIT / run-time is an incomplete gateway. ... programmers to use them, instead of beating themselves up with largely ...
      (comp.arch)
    • Re: More on garbage
      ... Lessing performed both trading and accounting tasks, ... stopped before the bank went broke. ... there is a difference between security and reliability. ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Running a root process.
      ... that I've seen their programmers' attitude towards security. ... you've entirely *missed* the philosophy. ... Web Hosting by West Virginians, ...
      (comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc)