Security Problem With SQLServer and Crystal Reports

From: Tim Burda (timburda_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/05/04

    Date: 5 Nov 2004 08:15:51 -0800

    We recently converted a server from Windows NT 4.0 To Windows 2000 (No
    comments about the technology please :-) )

    We have a web-based application that uses Crystal Reports 8.5 against
    a SQLServer 2000 database to produce reports.

    In the course of moving to the Windows 2000 enviroment, the reports
    stopped working. We are getting an error that states "Server has not
    yet been opened" --- based on searches here and at Crystal's website,
    this seems like the default error for a database connection failure.

    Additional information:

    The report will execute properly if it is executed from within the
    Crystal Report Editor on the new Windows 2000 web server. It (the
    report) only fails when it is executed from within the web
    application.

    We have the SQLServer database setup to accept both Windows-based
    authtentication and SQLServer authentication. In addition, we have
    auditting turned on (on the SQLServer machine) to capture successful /
    failed logons. And for some reason, we are capturing NT logon attempts
    in both scenarios - web vs. standalone Crystal. I don't understand why
    this is happening, because the NT authentication doesn't need to take
    place at all because of the SQLServer authentication.

    When running from the Crystal Report Editor, the user login
    successfully occurs as the domain account that I am using to login in
    to the machine with. When running from the web application, the user
    login fails as "IWAM_USER".

    Anyone have any thoughts on what's going on and what I need to to fix
    this???

    Thanks -

    Tim Burda

    • RE: Server Status Report not working
      ... Using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Recovery Storage Groups ... Documentation by Alphabetical List for Windows Small Business Server 2003 ... Server Status Report not working ... Click Monitoring and Reporting. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Question about monitoring in SBS2K3 Prem. vs. SBS2K
      ... Am I going to have to load Windows SBS2K to ... > databases for analysis and report generation. ... Also new in the Windows Server 2003 family are two new security groups ... >>The report in Monitoring and Reporting works, but I am looking for the ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Extended Server Usage report missing details
      ... Windows Server has two, SP1 and SP2, you have SP2 as you stated. ... Pls run SBS BPA to see what version you have and not have. ... Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Best Practices Analyzer ... Does the report issue resolve by reinstall Monitoring component on SBS? ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Development environment setup: connect to SQL Server 2000 database
      ... sqlserver where the login and password only exist in sqlserver (standard security) and windows security, where the login defined in sqlserver is a nt account. ... I have changed the database security setup for "SQL Server and Windows" under Windows NT node of Enterprise Manager. ...
    • Win2K3 TS generating errors...
      ... We have a just implemented a Windows 2003 terminal server in our ... The error basically asks the user if they want to send an error report to ...