Re: No OLE DB providers listed when creating a Linked Server

From: Chris Wood (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/27/04

    Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:48:18 -0600

    If you went from MDAC 2.7 SP1 with MS04-003 applied to W2K3 then look at the
    oledb32.dll. It probably did not get updated, we had this on all our W2K
    upgrades to W2K3. Copy the 2.8 version into both the system32\dllcache and
    the Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB folder. This will fix the
    problem and stop W2K3 file protection from replacing it.

    Chris Wood
    Alberta Department of Energy
    CANADA

    "Sue Hoegemeier" <Sue_H@nomail.please> wrote in message
    > I've seen others reporting the problem when upgrading to Win 2003. It
    > was generally due to one of the MDAC dlls not getting updated but the
    > others getting updated. You can try running the component check to
    > check your MDAC setup or try reinstalling whatever version of MDAC you
    > are suppose to be running. You can download MDAC versions and the
    > component checker from:
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/mdac/default.aspx
    >
    > -Sue
    >
    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:43:07 -0700, "GYatabe"
    > <GYatabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I am having a problem trying to create a linked server. When I open the
    > >dialog to create a new linked server, there are no providers listed in
    the
    > >"Other Providers" dropdown. FYI we just upgraded from Win Server 2000 to
    > >Server 2003. We are running SQL 2000. Has anyone had this happen to
    them
    > >before? I am placing this in this forum because it has to do with
    Linked
    > >servers. If you have a better forum for this to be posted, please notify
    in
    > >this thread and I'll post there. Thanks for your help.
    > >
    > >Grant

    • Re: Linked Server connection Problem
      ... My experience with MDAC has been that it is VERY temperamental. ... because in EM when I click on Linked Server ... > If problem persists I will try Connection group. ... >> Hi Alan, ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
    • Re: coax P&D Wizard to install mdac on target machine during std. installation, possible?
      ... package that needs it, based on the rules in VB6Dep.ini file. ... Just to make sure I'm following, if I make sure the version of MDAC I ... In fact some version of the MDAC can NOT be install on some platforms. ... M$ doesn't really want vendors to supply upgrades to basic services. ...
    • MDAC 2.8 on SQL 2000 Sp3a
      ... Any reason why MDAC 2.8 should NOT be installed on the above server? ... colleague has an error linking a Excel spreadsheet (linked server) and the ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
    • Re: No OLE DB providers listed when creating a Linked Server
      ... check your MDAC setup or try reinstalling whatever version of MDAC you ... component checker from: ... >I am having a problem trying to create a linked server. ... I am placing this in this forum because it has to do with Linked ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)