Re: Block Port 1433 on windows 2000 server

From: mkaplan (mkaplan.19gix2_at_mail.webservertalk.com)
Date: 07/15/04

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:53:00 -0500

Ann,

We had a similar problem with SQL 2000 on Windows 2000.

You stated that "they are able to connect to
the server using port 1433" Does that mean that netstat shows the
connection status as ESTABLISHED? If not then they are not connected,
they are trying to connect. We had dozens of attempted connections on
1433 with status of TIME_WAIT and
CLOSE_WAIT.

Also our attempted connections were from various IP addresses not just
one. Is yours from just one IP or from many? Tracking the IP addresses
revealed them to be from many locations/ISPs leading me to believe
these were attempts by viruses to find an available SQL database.

I don't know if our situations are similar but on our system disabling
the Distributed Transaction Coordinator Service (along with many other
services we don't use) has eliminated these spurious connection
attempts.

--
mkaplan