Re: Block Port 1433 on windows 2000 server

From: mkaplan (mkaplan.19gix2_at_mail.webservertalk.com)
Date: 07/15/04

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:53:00 -0500

Ann,

We had a similar problem with SQL 2000 on Windows 2000.

You stated that "they are able to connect to
the server using port 1433" Does that mean that netstat shows the
connection status as ESTABLISHED? If not then they are not connected,
they are trying to connect. We had dozens of attempted connections on
1433 with status of TIME_WAIT and
CLOSE_WAIT.

Also our attempted connections were from various IP addresses not just
one. Is yours from just one IP or from many? Tracking the IP addresses
revealed them to be from many locations/ISPs leading me to believe
these were attempts by viruses to find an available SQL database.

I don't know if our situations are similar but on our system disabling
the Distributed Transaction Coordinator Service (along with many other
services we don't use) has eliminated these spurious connection
attempts.

--
mkaplan

  • Re: Concurrent database access in SQL 2005 Mobile
    ... Please stick to having an "dummy" connection in Open State. ... SQL CE/Mobile has a background thread that flushes the changes ... they run for long hours and we have not seen memory leaks so far. ... then opens his work forms and it's in ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.ce)
  • Re: Concurrent database access in SQL 2005 Mobile
    ... Please stick to having an "dummy" connection in Open State. ... So it is a kind of asynchronous commit which happens every 10 ... I am not sure of this claim as we have many applications built on SQL CE ... then opens his work forms and it's in ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.ce)
  • RE: Logging in in background
    ... wold take all kinds of modifictions as I'd need to be checking that each SQL ... my database and all have connection strings associated with them. ... I suspect that there is also an issue on the SQL Server side as I keep ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)
  • Access 2003 adp/proxy security - A substitute for SYSTEM_USER()
    ... We need a way for SQL to know the nt username that initiated the proxy ... Many stored procedures and views use a UDF that also depends on ... SyUserLogin and use HostIDand HostName() to find the right row. ... We've played with the Connection dialog settings, ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Access 2003 adp/proxy security - A substitute for SYSTEM_USER()
    ... We need a way for SQL to know the nt username that initiated the proxy ... Many stored procedures and views use a UDF that also depends on ... SyUserLogin and use HostIDand HostName() to find the right row. ... We've played with the Connection dialog settings, ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)