Re: What privileges do my SQL services need?

From: Richard Waymire [MSFT] (rwaymi_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 07/15/04

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:11:21 -0700

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283811 is the best
source of info, along with this reference in the sp3 version of the books
online:
mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\Microsoft%20SQL%20Server\80\Tools\Books\instsql.chm::/in_overview_6k1f.htm

--
Richard Waymire, MCSE, MCDBA
"Katerina" <tkwood@energy-northwest.com> wrote in message
>I have done some reading mostly on the Microsoft page and am getting
> what seems to be conflicting guidance on what privileges the SQL
> services need.  I am looking at the SQL Server Service and the SQL
> Server Agent Service.  Most articles say to run these with the minimal
> permission and that is what I would like to do.  It sounds like the
> SQL Server Service can run as just a user but the Agent may need more.
> Some guidance says not to run the agent as a local system, local
> admin or domain account.  Another article from the MSDN page "Starting
> SQLServerAgent Service" says that the domain account must be a member
> of the sysadmin role.  The same article also has a note that says for
> maximum security; configure the service account for SQL Agent as a
> domain account in the Administrators local group. In addition, connect
> the SQL Agent host account to SQL Server using integrated
> authentication, and set the proxy account. For more information, see
> xp_sqlagent_proxy_account.
>
> Can you help me determine what privileges my Agent service needs? I am
> using a domain account.  I did some testing and it appears that I need
> to have the domain account in the sysadmin group to start the agent
> service if it is not a member of the local admin group.  What I am
> concerned about is what privileges it needs for DTS, Replication and
> Linked Servers.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Outlook for MAPI on SBS
    ... I wound up looking at another thread here on installing SQL 2005 which I ... I have noticed something interesting here in SBS ... agent from the SBS Monitoring Agent to the 2005 agent instance. ... Is there an easy way to set up notifications from SQL Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Outlook for MAPI on SBS
    ... I wound up looking at another thread here on installing SQL 2005 which I ... particularly 2005 on SBS. ... agent from the SBS Monitoring Agent to the 2005 agent instance. ... Is there an easy way to set up notifications from SQL Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Setting DCOMCNFG LaunchPermission registry value for everyone group back to "special access"
    ... trying to push content from one SQL server to a cluster server. ... Also this replication ... got TimeOut exipred messages when the agent ran - the specific error message ... SQL Server Agent could not access the replication agent. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Setting DCOMCNFG LaunchPermission registry value for everyone group back to "special access"
    ... trying to push content from one SQL server to a cluster server. ... Also this replication ... got TimeOut exipred messages when the agent ran - the specific error message ... SQL Server Agent could not access the replication agent. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
  • Setting DCOMCNFG LaunchPermission registry value for everyone group back to "special access"
    ... trying to push content from one SQL server to a cluster server. ... Also this replication ... got TimeOut exipred messages when the agent ran - the specific error message ... SQL Server Agent could not access the replication agent. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)