Re: SQL 2000 Developer - Change Computer

From: Richard Waymire [MSFT] (rwaymi_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 07/15/04

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:08:36 -0700

or you could use the copy database wizard and move over your databases with
that utility once you have both copies of SQL Server up and running. Your
best bet is to backup & restore master & msdb and then detach each database,
copy the files over to the new computer, then attach them.

Don't forget to run
exec sp_dropserver oldmachinename
exec sp_addserver newmachinename, local

on the new sql server after you restore your old master database...

-Richard

--
Richard Waymire, MCSE, MCDBA
"Patito" <Patito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have SQL 2000 developer installed and working.  To move it to another
>machine, can I:
> 1)  Install it on the new machine without hitch.
> 2)  Move my files, sp's etc.
> 3)  Test on new machine.
> 4)  Then, and only then, delete it off the old machine
> and be ok with licensing and such, and will I in fact be
> able to install on the second machine?  If not, how
> do I go about this?
>
> Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Idiomatic Expressions to Operating System Architecture: Transforming Rigids
    ... <Subject: Re: Idiomatic Expressions to Operating ... <endpoint during a single session * DATABASE + by ... <statements is a new feature of SQL Server 2005. ...
    (sci.math)
  • RE: Installing SP4 on SQL 2000
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
    ... As you said this is a fresh install, so it should not be an issue. ... If you are installing are installing a fresh version of SQL Server 2000, ... MCITP: Database Administrator ... "David G" wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: SQL7 ODBC trusted connection
    ... To use SQL Server, a user's Windows account needs to be granted access ... the login needs to be granted access to the user databases ... Database role membership can be specified there too. ... EXEC sp_addrole 'MyRole' ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Why do I need to restart the SQL service?
    ... > I use Wise Installation utility to install MSDE 2000A. ... what I do within the app is: ... Check to see if the database exists. ... > SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)