Application Roles across databases in SQL Server 2000

From: Caroline (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 07/02/04

Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 02:45:54 -0700

Hello

I have 2 databases that run application role security
(different role names and passwords), users access these
databases only from within different Visual Basic
applications.

I require to be able to request data from both
databases. I have read in SQL Server help that if you
enable the guest user account and then give it the
relevant permissions the system will only allow the other
database to get to these objects.

I have created a stored procedure on one of the databases
that calls a table in the database with the guest account
enabled. I have not given the guest account access to
this table but I can still get to the data in the table.

Please can someone explain why this is and what I need to
do to prevent this.

Thank you

Caroline

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to restrict data by locations
    ... > of the users access a central DB is increasing the amount of time it takes to do ... > replication so that the processing can be distributed. ... > I'm from the old school where databases were always centralized. ... > complexity and I would just as soon spend my time developing new DB's and ...
  • Re: Terminal services two factor authentication
    ... databases. ... Rick B ... > I would like to have some users access our terminal server remotely. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)
  • Re: Using Views for Security
    ... permissions to the underlying tables, ... >> to go across databases, I don't get the same results as within the same ... >> users access to a view but not the the underlying tables. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Application Roles across databases in SQL Server 2000
    ... Only grant execute permissions on the procedure to those users/roles whom ... >> I have created a stored procedure on one of the databases ... I have not given the guest account access to ... > chaining for ownership chains to apply to cross-database access. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • RE: New MS SQL User cannot display DBs via Enterprise Manager
    ... and I checked this out by doing a select * from sysusers on each of my ... Databases and 'some' of them had the guest account deleted directly from ... to be made directly to system catalogs, then I deleted the guest account ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)