Can't start SQL 2000 after MS Update

From: Doug (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/14/04

    Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:31:13 -0700

    Hi,
    I recently installed several Windows Updates and security
    patches. Now the SQL Server on my XP Pro development
    machine won't start. The only message box that I get
    when trying to restart is a message box:

    SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

    Any clues on how to fix this? I can't seem to find any
    other references to this problem.

    Regards,

    Doug