Re: Why SqlServer always generates "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" error?

From: Hari (hari_prasad_k_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 04/17/04

    Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:25:17 +0530

    Hi Neil,

    "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" generally occurs when SQL is internally raise a
    access violation.

    There are various reasons for this exception:-

    1. A database corruption - you should identify this by running dbcc
    checkdb, newalloc and checkcatalog commands.

    2. A hardware problem - usually a problematic memory. Run vendor supplied
    diagnostic routines to check out the hardware.

    3. A bug in the SQL Server code. This is the Microsoft C code that makes
    up SQLSERVR.EXE and associated dll's, NOT your TSQL code.
         If you have SQL code that causes an AV it is Microsoft's bug, not
    yours. There is nothing anyone outside of Microsoft support can do to help
    you.

    Note:

    Apart from this ... What is your service pack level? If it is old please
    install the latest service pack and check the exception raises.

    If you have the latest service pack please contact Microsoft product support
    with

    1. SQL Server Error log
    2. Event Logs
    3. TSQL code causing vialation
    4. Output of Winmsd (contains the Hardware and OS information)

    Thanks
    Hari
    MCDBA

    "Neil" <iichiba9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > All error message is:
    > SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 26 generated fatal exception c0000005
    > EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process.
    >
    > It seldom happened before, but always appeared these days. Can anybody
    > explain why? Any suggestion will be welcome, thank you!
    >

    > --
    > Neil

    • Re: Internet password attacks
      ... That just isn't a Service Pack class fix. ... The one message Microsoft ... I disagree in terms of Microsoft "refusing" to fix these issues. ... a massive amount in SQL Server 2005 to address the standard security issues. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
    • Re: SharePoint (not Portal) Licensing
      ... Then can we get an "official" response to this question on how Microsoft ... wants the licensing to be done. ... such multiplexing or pooling hardware and/or software does not reduce ... SQL Server software. ...
    • Re: Problem with Transaction backups
      ... sure you are running the latest service pack. ... Basically we have an SQL server that was running full backups and hourly ... a test database and tried the same thing and got the same results. ... Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2005.090.3042.00 ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
    • Re: VM Ware und SQL Server
      ... VM Ware und SQL Server ... Der SQL Server arbeitet wirklich sehr Hardware nah. ... SQL Server auf vmware wird von Microsoft nur durch den ... Support policy for Microsoft software running in non-Microsoft hardware ...
      (microsoft.public.de.sqlserver)
    • Re: Error installing (KB 921896)
      ... I am having a similar problem installing the update for SQL Server Express ... Product Installation Status ... This service pack upgrades all Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)