Connecting to a remote server

From: Murphy (murphy_at_murphy.com)
Date: 04/01/04

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 21:13:02 +1000

We are setting up a webserver (172.16.0.2) that lives in the DMZ behind our
firewall (172.16.0.1)
I would like this server to connect to a db that lives on an SQL Server
(PDC: 192.168.16.2) on our internal lan.
I have opened port 1433 on the firewall between 172.16.0.2 & 192.168.16.2
On the webserver I have installed MSDE that the web app currently connects
to successfully whilst I determine how to connect it to the internal server.
In EM on the SQL Server I can now connect to the MSDE server, have activated
TCP/IP 1433 on MSDE, and all works well.

I would like our Web application to used the internal SQL Server as opposed
to the local MSDE.
In order to connect to the SQL Server at 192.168.16.2 is MSDE required or
can it be removed ?
Do I simply need to specify the port in the querystring in order to connect
to the remote server ?
What users/logins will need to be created in order for the web app to
connect to our internal server ?
Should I use a trusted connection or specify uid=sa;pwd=abc in the
querystring ?

The querystring I have developed so far to connect to this server is:
    <appSettings>
        <add key="ConnectionString"
value="server=192.168.16.2,1433;Trusted_Connection=true;database=store" />
    </appSettings>

Or should I use:
    <appSettings>
        <add key="ConnectionString"
value="server=192.168.16.2,1433;uid=sa;pwd=abc;database=store" />
    </appSettings>

Thanks

Murphy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: MSDE help
    ... there is no limit to the number of connections on an MSDE server. ... I'm working with SQL Server Magazine to put together a weekly newsletter ...
  • Re: version & instances
    ... Microsoft MVP ... Hitchhiker’s Guide to Visual Studio and SQL Server ... MSDE has a limited database size ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)
  • Re: version & instances
    ... Hitchhiker’s Guide to Visual Studio and SQL Server ... SQL 2000 SP3a for Antivirus app ... Consider that MSDE as a product is somewhat dated ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)
  • Re: Unable to connect to SQL 2000 engine on other machine from SSM
    ... I posted a bug report on Microsoft SQL Server Feedback. ... Upgrade MSDE to SP4: not ok. ... port information to your client. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Re: Help with Master/Detail UI in ADPs
    ... No, MSDE is not limited to 5 concurrent users, it is limited to 5 concurrent ... The users whose connection to the server is idle at any moment don't count. ... and from the local temp table to the Detail table on the server for rows ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)