Re: Password Protect SQL SERVER

From: Andrew J. Kelly (sqlmvpnooospam_at_shadhawk.com)
Date: 02/04/04

Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:44:03 -0500

By default there is a local NT admin account that is also sa. If they log
on to their box as the local admin they are essentially sa. You can remove
that account but that won't really stop someone from getting at it if they
want and have rights to the physical machine. The real answer here has
always been to make sure you have a good copywrite, NDA etc to cover this
area. There are some 3rd party tools to encrypt the db but it can be a real
hassle and in the long run I am not sure how effective it is. Take a look
on google for past posts regarding encryption and sql server for more
details.

--
Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP
> We are the sa. We give to the customer MSDE with an added
> user in the user table which will let them get to the
> application if a valid user.
>
> If they plan on buying sql server on thir own and putting
> in our database is their a way we can stop them from
> reading the database and egtting to its structure by
> password protecting the database on the msde or by
> encrypting the database.

Relevant Pages

  • Idiomatic Expressions to Operating System Architecture: Transforming Rigids
    ... <Subject: Re: Idiomatic Expressions to Operating ... <endpoint during a single session * DATABASE + by ... <statements is a new feature of SQL Server 2005. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: MS Access DAO -> ADO.NET Migration
    ... William Vaughn ... Microsoft MVP ... Hitchhiker's Guide to Visual Studio and SQL Server ... My migration app works building a SSCE database file with imported data ...
  • Re: Cluster will not fail over.
    ... > As far as the TCP/IP issue goes, you had to rebuild the cluster and were ... > able to restore the master database. ... > a cluster installation you'll have to revisit. ... >> This worked bringing up the sql server in minimal mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
  • Re: MS Access DAO -> ADO.NET Migration
    ... For that it is much harder to handle the incremental identifier, ... database but although they have the data, they are not connected at the same ... The book was a pleasure to read after the gibberish that Microsoft 'puts ... SQL Server Management Studio is nowhere to be found on my ...
  • Re: Word 2003/Access2000/SQLSVR
    ... SQL server being where the data is held and this is accessed through a MS ... entire database and that may be say a record for Berkshire. ... "Peter Jamieson" wrote: ... replaced with the first record on the table in use. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields)