Re: Password Protect SQL SERVER

From: Andrew J. Kelly (sqlmvpnooospam_at_shadhawk.com)
Date: 02/04/04

Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:44:03 -0500

By default there is a local NT admin account that is also sa. If they log
on to their box as the local admin they are essentially sa. You can remove
that account but that won't really stop someone from getting at it if they
want and have rights to the physical machine. The real answer here has
always been to make sure you have a good copywrite, NDA etc to cover this
area. There are some 3rd party tools to encrypt the db but it can be a real
hassle and in the long run I am not sure how effective it is. Take a look
on google for past posts regarding encryption and sql server for more
details.

--
Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP