Re: Using PwdEncrypt

From: Dan Guzman (danguzman_at_nospam-earthlink.net)
Date: 01/11/04

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:40:37 -0600

I honestly don't know if/when pwdencrypt will removed/revised/replaced.

As Dejan suggested, you should probably consider a 3rd party tool or develop
your own for this functionality. This sort of thing will be much easier in
Yukon since you can write functions using .Net code, allowing you to
leverage managed APIs from within SQL Server.

--
Hope this helps.
Dan Guzman
"Giacomo" <anonymous@msnewsgroups.com> wrote in message
> Dan,
> If it is removed..., will it not be replaced?   It is a wonderful tool.
Is
> there anything quite as good out there?
> Giac
>
> "Dan Guzman" <danguzman@nospam-earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Aside from the missing 'AS' in the CREATE PROCEDURE, I see no problems
> with
> > the code you posted.  The cause of the error is probably in the
statement
> > executing the procedure.
> >
> > In any case, I strongly suggest that you don't include undocumented
> > functionality like pwencrypt in production code.  The behavior may
change
> > (or be removed) in future SQL Server versions or service packs and break
> > your application.
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Dan Guzman
> > SQL Server MVP
> >

> > "Giacomo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > > I'm using pwdencrypt to create user passwords.  When I try
> > > to update one that was previously created I get an error:
> > >
> > > Incorrect syntax near 'mypassword'.
> > >
> > > Does the nature of a varbinary(255) cause it to not work
> > > in a statement like:
> > > -----------------------
> > > Create Procedure PWDUpdate(@Pin varchar(64),@ID INT)
> > > UPDATE RegisteredUsers SET [Password]=dbo.FnPWDGET (@Pin)
> > > WHERE [ID]=@ID
> > > -----------------------
> > > dbo.FnPWDGET looks like:
> > >
> > > CREATE FUNCTION FnPWDGET (@Name varchar(64))
> > > RETURNS Varbinary(255) AS
> > > BEGIN
> > > DECLARE @Output varbinary(255)
> > > SELECT @Output=(CONVERT(varbinary(255), pwdencrypt(@Name)))
> > >  RETURN @Output
> > > END
> > >
> > > Help,
> > > Giac

Relevant Pages

  • 3rd party replication tool
    ... I'm not too sure why it has to be a 3rd party tool. ... there is a big variety of functionality ... within SQL Server itself to do this. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication)
  • Re: full-Text Search questions
    ... I will search SQL Server BOL for information. ... TopCo Site / Employees ... The functionality in STS was to search the entire set of sites. ...
    (microsoft.public.sharepoint.portalserver.development)
  • Re: Return subquery rows as one delimited column
    ... and concatenates them together - this will be very slow!! ... For SQL Server 2005, there's a method that uses documented functionality ...
    (comp.databases.ms-sqlserver)
  • Re: I have two questions about the TableAdapter Configuration Wizard
    ... something to do with the difficulty in adding functionality to VS2005. ... Hitchhiker's Guide to Visual Studio and SQL Server ... I want to have a TableAdapter that encapsulates a bunch of stored ... I might have 10 delete sprocs that I want to put into one ...
  • RE: access to SQL Server 2.0 CE from .NET Framework
    ... You can use the remote application programming interface to accomplish this functionality of accessing a SQL Server CE database from your ... RAPI allows desktop apps to invoke function calls on your Windows CE device while the device is connected via ActiveSync to the desktop. ... you could write a device resident app which performed SQLCE functionality and call this app from your desktop. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.ce)