Linked server problems

From: Bob Frasca (bfrasca_at_netspoke.com)
Date: 11/07/03

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 10:57:18 -0500

I posted this on the "programming" group but no one has responded. Thought
I'd try here...

I have heard rumors that certain queries to linked servers will not utilize
indexes on the linked server. In my case, I am trying to update records in
a table on a linked server and it will not use the index despite the fact
that I am referring to the primary key. When I take the same query and run
it on the linked server directly it works fine.

Does anyone know if this is documented anywhere? My workaround is to move
the query to a stored procedure on the linked server and then call the
stored procedure on the linked server rather than a straight UPDATE
statement. This works but it would be nice to know WHEN I'm going to have
to use this type of work around.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: User-Defined Function
    ... It doesn't even have to be this elaborate with a linked server. ... Declare @line varchar ... suitable extended stored procedure. ... > server setup and an example of how to get directory information (but not ...
  • RE: Stored Procedure to Connect a DBF File
    ... but you might be able to create a Linked Server to the ... after setting up an ODBC connection to it. ... > of DBF file using / with in the Stored Procedure? ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • RE: Stored Procedure to Connect a DBF File
    ... but you might be able to create a Linked Server to the ... after setting up an ODBC connection to it. ... > of DBF file using / with in the Stored Procedure? ...
  • Facing the same problem
    ... My stored procedure is being activated from a Service Broker ... queue. ... The linked server is a SQL server, but not one where I have any ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • ANSI_WARNINGS error in Stored Procedure
    ... I have a linked Server on my regular SQL server, and when I try to create a stored procedure that reads from the linked server, I get the following error: ... THIS ENSURES CONSISTENT QUERIES SEMANTICS. ... The query that is to be performed in the stored procedure is a simple SELECT, ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)