Builtin Administrators Group and SQL Agent Jobs

From: Matt Troska (matt.troska_at_co.mcleod.mn.us)
Date: 10/31/03

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:17:03 -0800

On my SQL 2k Server I added a SQL Login for a Domain group
for DBA's and gave that login full access to all SQL
DB's. The DBA group is a member of the local
administrators group as well.

I then removed the builtin\administrators group login from
SQL Logins.

SQL Server and SQL Agent are both started by a user that
is a member of the DBA group.

After I did all of the above, my SQL Agent Jobs no longer
seem to work. What happens is the jobs "execute" but
don't actually exeute. The jobs don't fail, but yet they
don't complete either. SQL is installed in Mixed mode and
all jobs are owned by SA.

I have tried recreating the jobs and that did not seem to
help.

I added the builtin\administrators group as a SQL login
and the started to work.

I need to remove the builtin\administrators as a SQL login
to restrick access to some of the DB's.

Thanks.

Matt

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SQL 2005 Trying to run jobs owned by the NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM user.
    ... running on the SQL 2005 system. ... I am trying to get the SQL agent jobs to ... run as the local NT_AUTHORITY\System account. ... TransactionLogMaintenance.Subplan_1 does not have server access." ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • SQL 2000 Email issue
    ... SQL 2000 Developers Editon 8.00.2050 on my Windows XP Pro workstation ... SQL 2000 Server Standard Edition 8.00.2050 on my ... The SQL Agent on both have been configured with the Mail profile. ... On Server 1 My workstation I have maintainance plans setup and the jobs run ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: SQL 2000 Email issue
    ... SQL 2000 Developers Editon 8.00.2050 on my Windows XP Pro workstation ... SQL 2000 Server Standard Edition 8.00.2050 on my ... The SQL Agent on both have been configured with the Mail profile. ... On Server 1 My workstation I have maintainance plans setup and the jobs ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: Builtin Administrators Group and SQL Agent Jobs
    ... > On my SQL 2k Server I added a SQL Login for a Domain group> for DBA's and gave that login full access to all SQL> DB's. ... > SQL Server and SQL Agent are both started by a user that> is a member of the DBA group. ... What happens is the jobs "execute" but> don't actually exeute. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Ignoring Errors
    ... OSQL is better than Agent TSQL as OSQL doesn't terminate on errors. ... Server* terminates the batch. ... Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP ... > The problem I'm having is that when my best effort jobs ran in MS SQL ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.tools)