Re: Create table & deny delete table

From: Kalen Delaney (replies_at_public_newsgroups.com)
Date: 10/30/03

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:14:15 -0800

The middle component of the 3 part name is the owner of the table, so once a
user creates a table dbname.dbo.table_name, it is now owned by dbo.

Regular users can only create tables owned by themselves, and only drop
tables owned by themselves.

The only users who can create a table owned by dbo are the dbo itself, and
anyone who is a member of the db_owner role. Any of those users can also
drop any table in the datatabase.

I don't think you can get exactly what you want.

And you're not talking about logins; creating and dropping tables, and
permissions, are granted to users in a database, not to logins.

--
HTH
----------------
"hrhoe" <hrhoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm trying to create a new login that has the following:
> - This user need to create a table.
> - The created table should have name like
> <db_name>.dbo.<table_name> (not like
> <db_name>.<User>.<table_name>
> - This user should not be allowed to delete a table does
> not belong to he or she.
>
> Can I create a user login like this?
>
> Thank you,
>
> - Hyung -

Relevant Pages

  • Re: User dbo lost login after database move
    ... For dbo, you must use sp_changedbowner. ... Senior Database Administrator ... > Recently I moved a database from one SQL server to another. ... > manage to link them to the logins provided under "security". ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • SQL 2000 in a Workgroup - Problem with DBO.xxx
    ... I have a win xp pro workgroup using simple sharing (No Logins ... Neccessary) and have a Database owner issue. ... I have a seperate machine called "Server" with win xp pro on it and SQL ... Firstly create the DB from another machine using Enterprise Manager ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Rev 22 on the Prime emulator
    ... It didnt even have user logins! ... Well that sounds like a large quivering pile of poo emitting great ... didn't know the owner or non-owner password, ...
    (comp.sys.prime)
  • Re: builtinadministrators in the db_owner role
    ... You can change the db owner using the sp_changedbowner stored procedure. ... > In the Logins dialog, I can't drop the account from any ... > owner' box because the account is called 'dbo' & you can't ... > have a 'normal' account in a database with that name. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Security and Views
    ... You can use sp_changeobjectowner to change the owner of a object, ... in that case the logins that are associated with the ... disabled cross databases ownership chaining, in that last case there is no ... >> Books Online ...