Re: Create table & deny delete table

From: Kalen Delaney (
Date: 10/30/03

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:14:15 -0800

The middle component of the 3 part name is the owner of the table, so once a
user creates a table dbname.dbo.table_name, it is now owned by dbo.

Regular users can only create tables owned by themselves, and only drop
tables owned by themselves.

The only users who can create a table owned by dbo are the dbo itself, and
anyone who is a member of the db_owner role. Any of those users can also
drop any table in the datatabase.

I don't think you can get exactly what you want.

And you're not talking about logins; creating and dropping tables, and
permissions, are granted to users in a database, not to logins.

Kalen Delaney
SQL Server MVP