Re: NT > 2003 domain name changes

From: Kevin (ReplyTo_at_Newsgroups.only)
Date: 10/20/03

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:17:15 -0700

Ooops, I read a bit further - if the sids are staying the same on the DC,
then no action is required on your part.

--
Kevin Connell, MCDBA
The views expressed here are my own
"Kevin" <ReplyTo@Newsgroups.only> wrote in message
> nope, the sid of the login is the sid on the DC. It updates the sid in
> sysusers with the sid from syslogins.
>

> --
> Kevin Connell, MCDBA
> The views expressed here are my own
> and not of my employer.
> "njc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I already thought of that one, but my understanding of
> > sp_change_users_login is that it changes the SID of the
> > login to the SID of the user, which means I lose the
> > original SID.
> >
> > Our NT > AD migration will retain the same user & group
> > SIDS.  I also understand that SQL Server holds the
> > domain/username data locally for the purpose of
> > performance (e.g. when system_user is called it doesn't
> > need to make a call to the domain controller to get the
> > username), and that all authentication is achieved using
> > SID only.
> >
> > Thus whatever solution I deliver must restore the logins
> > linked to the users, with the same SIDs as before,
> > otherwise windows authentication won't work - have I got
> > this right?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: NT > 2003 domain name changes
    ... Can't use the DTS option as it doesn't retain the SID, ... -restore database to SQL2K ... - cut out logins that do not apply to the database at hand ... >> windows authentication over to a new sql server on a new ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Logins between SQL Databases on diff. servers.
    ... If they are NT logins and on the same domain you shouldn't have to do ... Errors After Restoring Dump ... for SQL Server ... > So how can I move the logins first with its passwords and SID? ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: NT > 2003 domain name changes
    ... sp_change_users_login is that it changes the SID of the ... I also understand that SQL Server holds the ... Thus whatever solution I deliver must restore the logins ... our SQL Server databases will ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Permissions on Restore
    ... So, in the dest server, the login create a database and is the owner of the database. ... This will make the dbo the SID of the originating SQL Server. ... Best is if you can make sure the logins have the same SID, ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • RE: NT4 Migration
    ... My understanding is you want to restructure the NT4 domain into a AD ... I know your major concern is move SQL server 2000 to new domain. ... Basically if you enabled SID history feature in AD, ... Detached all the user Database. ...