Re: MS03-031 Problems

From: Mateo (
Date: 09/17/03

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:36:35 -0600

We had the same problem with client connections after applying MS03-031 to
our SQL Servers running on WinNT. We applied the following patch to resolve
the issue. Hope this works for you as well.;en-us;823492

"Tim" <> wrote in message
> I manage several SQL Servers (2000 Enterprise Edition
> SP3a) on Windows Server 2000 SP4. Each server has a
> default instance and two or more named instances
> installed as well. These servers run in a Windows NT4
> domain. Our clients log into this domain as well as a
> Novel NDS domain. Our client workstations are either NT4
> workstations managed by Novel Zenworks or unmanaged
> Windows XP machines.
> Our systems were recently audited and we were compelled
> to apply all of the most recent patches. Unfortunately,
> the cumulative patch correcting the Named Pipes
> vulnerability (MS03-031) seems to have made connecting to
> our SQL Servers rather difficult (and in one case
> impossible). Client machines, running various
> applications, began returning "SQL Server does not exist
> or access denied errors" (similar to the ones described
> in the Knowledge Base article KB823492).
> Our SQL Service accounts are configured as domain users
> (with permission sets like those described in KB283811).
> I have found that if I configure the service accounts to
> be members of the local adiministrator group, I can
> connenct without difficulty. When I remove them from the
> admin group, I get the error described above. This
> problem does not mainfest itself on the one SQL Server
> (SP3a) that I have that is not patched with MS03-031.
> My question is what permissions do I need to add to my
> domain user accounts to allow them to
> create/maintian/utilize a named pipe connections with
> this patch in this environment?
> It is not an attractive option for me to run these
> accounts as local administrators.
> Thanks,
> Tim

Relevant Pages

  • Universal Date Format
    ... client application to insert records in to these servers. ... format d/m/y in to the SQL Server with the format m/d/y. ... with both SQL Servers. ... insert table1 values ...
  • RE: is SQL Server CE a good choice for me?
    ... Is converting the client db to MSDE an option? ... possible to connect to sql servers from a pocket pc so it might be possible ...
  • Re: Error in sql server logs
    ... Geiing this error message on multiple sql servers ... No changes from last few months on the sql servers. ... The login packet used to open the connection is structurally ... client library. ...
  • Error in sql server logs
    ... No changes from last few months on the sql servers. ... the connection has been closed. ... Please contact the vendor of the ... client library. ...
  • Re: Faster way to patch multiple sql server servers
    ... Check out UpdateEXPERT at ... I use it not only to patch ... our SQL servers but Windows, IE, IIS and more. ... > and cumulative patches and hotfixes on top of that. ...