Re: Starting Service with SQL Authentication

From: Kevin (ReplyTo_at_Newsgroups.only)
Date: 07/26/03

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:39:01 -0700

At first glance, I'd say NO, agent would require sysadmin by design - but,
if you want to do a little investigative work with profiler, I'd say you can
probably work around most of it with explicit grants. Another option with
agent is to run it as local system (or some dumbed-down nt account) and have
it use sql standard authentication (basically "sa"). Not sure what your
requirements are....

On the other hand - personally, it's not a problem to work without sql
agent - using either the windows task scheduler or if your shop has an
enterprise scheduling tool.

"Neil W." <neilw.nospam@netlib.com> wrote in message
> Then in this case the SQL Agent startup account would need Admin rights?
Is
> there anyway around that? I.e., are there any lesser rights that would
> suffice?
>
> Thanks for the feedback.

> "Kevin" <ReplyTo@Newsgroups.only
> > wrote in message > Strictly speaking, no - except in the case of the
> startup account of
> > sqlagent or if you want to use extended stored procedures or anything
else
> > in process that talks back to sql (like xp_sqlmaint for example)
> >
> > --
> > The views expressed here are my own
> > and not of my employer.
> > "Neil W." <neilw.nospam@netlib.com> wrote in message
> > > I guess I should know this, but ... Using SQL 2000 lets say I allow
> only
> > > SQL Authentication and delete all builtin/administrators. I also
change
> > the
> > > SA password to something only a couple of people know. Then I modify
> the
> > > service so that it is started by a normal domain user (doesn't have
the
> SA
> > > password). Does that domain user need to have SQL admin rights in
order
> > > start the service? If not, what SQL rights, if any, does he need.
> > >
> > > Thanks!

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Replication Error
    ... account that the SQL Agent runs under. ... When I setup replication two jobs are setup within sql server server. ... step of each job (Snapshot Agent startup message, ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication)
  • Re: permission problem?
    ... SQL Agent has an errorlog file, which you for instance can get to from EM, ... I suggest you read in Books Online about permissions. ... >> What error messages do you have in the SQL Server Agent errorlog? ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: Exchange 2003 SP3 in deutsch draussen, schon jemand Erfahrungen damit?
    ... der Key hatte aber nicht geholfen ... (z.b. bei meinem SQL Server Backup Problem!). ... >> Alternativ hätte ich noch ein Problem mit der Installation des Agent ...
    (microsoft.public.de.exchange)
  • Re: SQL Server in SBS2000
    ... Some require SQL backend. ... > I would like to setup a database using SQL Server, ... name and/or click on a drop down bar to select the vendor. ... This would tell us how many calls the agent is taking (ie: ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: xp_cmdshell issue, local system
    ... "Dan Guzman" wrote: ... > My guess is that EM uses a different technique for maintaining the SQL ... > Server and SQL Agent service accounts. ... Now when I go and try the same for the agent startup account it ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)