Re: Accessing SQL 2K from SQL 7

From: Geoff N. Hiten (SRDBA_at_Careerbuilder.com)
Date: 06/26/03

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:20:04 -0400

The SQL Client Network Utility creates aliases for SQL clients (including
SQL servers accessing other SQL servers). Specify TCP\IP as the transport
and you can specify a port number. Use the SQL Server Network Utility on
your server to determine the port number the named instance is listening on.

--
Geoff N. Hiten
Senior Database Administrator
"Shamim" <shamim.abdul@railamerica.com> wrote in message
> So, I should create an alias in my SQL 7 Box for SQL2K. Is that correct ?
> Pls explain how to create a alias and also specifying port number ??
>
> Thanks
> Sh
>

> "Geoff N. Hiten" <SRDBA@Careerbuilder.com> wrote in message
> > Try updating MDAC on your SQL 7.0 system.  Earlier versions (prior to
2.6
> or
> > 2.4, I think) don't understand named instances.  If updating MDAC isn't
an
> > option, try creating an alias that includes specifying the port number.
> >
> > --
> > Geoff N. Hiten
> > Senior Database Administrator
> > Careerbuilder.com
> >

> > "Shamim" <shamim.abdul@railamerica.com> wrote in message
> > > We added a new SQL instance of SQL 2K - name XXX\AB
> > >
> > > From SQL 7 server, I did sp_addlinkedserver 'XXX\AB'
> > >
> > > when try to access from SQL 7
> > >
> > > Select * from [XXX\AB].[dbname].[dbo].[tablename]
> > >
> > > "Specified SQL Server not found"
> > >
> > > Any thoughts ??
> > >
> > > Sh

Relevant Pages

  • talking to msde 2k from java
    ... I am completly new to sql servers. ... installed on my machine (however i did not install it so can't tell ... I have been doing my work on the database with the web admin tools, ... If i do not specify a db and use the sa username, ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver)
  • Re: EM connects to server without knowing port
    ... You can specify *A* default port. ... I suppose that's why SQL servers listen on UDP port 1434, ... Seems like an odd design. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • FolderBrowserDialog and remote machine
    ... My .NET 2003 app creates SQL Servers database via code. ... select any network machine running SQL Server, then allow them to specify a ... folder on that machine in which to create the data/log files. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • Wingate Replacement
    ... functionality of wingate to allow developers access to ... User connects to port 555 on wingate server which maps ... All access to these sql servers goes through this one ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Connection providers vs
    ... I believe oSQL like most tools rely on the SQL Browser service to identify SQL Servers. ... It does this by communicating with port 1434 which is the default browser port and it will respond with the ports of any running instances on that particular server. ... I believe SQL Recon does a combination of both using the browser service and pinging particular ports looking for SQL Server to respond. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)