Re: Accessing SQL 2K from SQL 7

From: Shamim (shamim.abdul_at_railamerica.com)
Date: 06/26/03

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:50:35 -0500

So, I should create an alias in my SQL 7 Box for SQL2K. Is that correct ?
Pls explain how to create a alias and also specifying port number ??

Thanks
Sh

"Geoff N. Hiten" <SRDBA@Careerbuilder.com> wrote in message
> Try updating MDAC on your SQL 7.0 system. Earlier versions (prior to 2.6
or
> 2.4, I think) don't understand named instances. If updating MDAC isn't an
> option, try creating an alias that includes specifying the port number.
>
> --
> Geoff N. Hiten
> Senior Database Administrator
> Careerbuilder.com
>

> "Shamim" <shamim.abdul@railamerica.com> wrote in message
> > We added a new SQL instance of SQL 2K - name XXX\AB
> >
> > From SQL 7 server, I did sp_addlinkedserver 'XXX\AB'
> >
> > when try to access from SQL 7
> >
> > Select * from [XXX\AB].[dbname].[dbo].[tablename]
> >
> > "Specified SQL Server not found"
> >
> > Any thoughts ??
> >
> > Sh

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Accessing SQL 2K from SQL 7
    ... Use the client network utility, it's pretty self explanatory. ... > Pls explain how to create a alias and also specifying port number ?? ... try creating an alias that includes specifying the port number. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)