Re: ERROR: [SQL-DMO] The name 'dbo' was not found in the users collection...

From: jrm (jhjim69_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 05/20/03

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 17:33:05 -0400

Thanks Russell, I'll run it and let you know what happens.

"Russell Fields" <rlfields@sprynet.com> wrote in message
> jrm,
>
> I have seen this happen in the case where:
>
> Database Fred owned by 'sa' was backed up.
>
> User 'demigod' creates (or recreates) a database named Fred, then restores
> the backup that was owned by 'sa'.
>
> Now sysdatabases believes that the database is owned by 'demigod', but
> Fred.dbo.sysusers believes that 'sa' created it.
>
> If this is your case, do the following:
>
> 1. Use sp_changedbowner to change to 'someotheruser'.
> 2. Use sp_changedbowner again to change to 'sa'
>
> Russell Fields
>
> "jrm" <jhjim69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > When selecting properties for sa under Logins I received the following
> > error: [SQL-DMO] The name 'dbo' was not found in the users collection.
If
> > the name is a qualified name, use [] to separate various parts of the
name
> > and try again.
> >
> > The properties window will open but when I select the Database Access
tab
> > and scroll through all the databases for sa, the user column says dbo
but
> > the bottom half of the window, Permit in Database Role, db_owner is NOT
> > checked. When I attempt to check it and hit OK, I get the same error.
> >
> > Also, I can't add sa or dbo to the uses in the individual database, it
> say's
> > they are reserved.
> >
> > How to solve this problem. I need to make sure sa is the dbo in each
> > database and get rid of all these error messages.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > jrm

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ERROR: [SQL-DMO] The name dbo was not found in the users collection...
    ... Database Fred owned by 'sa' was backed up. ... User 'demigod' creates a database named Fred, ... > Also, I can't add sa or dbo to the uses in the individual database, it ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Change dbo
    ... I have a database where a user is defined as the dbo on a database. ... I tried using SQL Server Manger ... The login for this person maps to dbo. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Developer design Best Practices
    ... > test - they develop them and then I move them, and the owner is dbo. ... > There is NO DBO User in our dev database!! ... just means it is owned by the database owner, ... to have a busy dba monitoring development servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: db_owner role in SQL 2k
    ... I do the select user_nameand get dbo ... Do you mean EM lists VDW as the owner of the database? ... I presume then that you are logged in as tfs. ... So my guess is that the login tfs is in the sysadmin role on the server, ...
  • Re: Groups for dbo
    ... Thanks for the instructions on changing the database owner...I suspect ... While dbo is SUPPOSED to be a special user that's not used for routine ... It's probably safer to change the database owner in any event, ... >> I'm still fairly new to SQL Server, and I'm trying to figure something ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)