Re: Pesky Pop Ups

From: Michael Weiss (mhweiss@hotmail.com)
Date: 03/31/03

From: "Michael Weiss" <mhweiss@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:51:35 -0800

I get these all the time as well. My question, if I stop
or disable the messenger service, what happens when I want
to use MSN Messenger? If the service is disabled, will it
simply just not work? Or will it start the service
automatically and then when I am finished with it, I will
have to go in and disable the service again? Or is the
win2k messenger service tied to MSN Messenger at all?
Thank you!
can do that by
>typing "net stop messenger" at a command prompt.
>
>However, doing so will only stop the service until the
next time you reboot.
>To stop it permanently, you need to disable the service.
Under W2K and
>later, I believe this is done by right-clicking on My
Computer, and
>selecting Manage. Expand the Services and Applications
node, and select the
>Services node. Double-click on the Messenger service,
and from that
>properties dialog you can stop the service, and you can
also set the Startup
>type to "Disabled".
>
>--Don
>
>--
confers no rights.

>"Nancy Guinto" <nancyguintont@netscape.net> wrote in
message
>> How do I stop those Pop Ups that greet me on my
desktop, in
>> the middle of working on-line and off-line? They are
from
>> Messenger Service and range from "Hi, I'm Jen" to
selling
>> toothpaste. Some are pretty risque. Sometimes, I have
22
>> of them in the morning. I don't understand how they are
>> getting through. Help, someone.
>>

>.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Is this a known problem !
    ... you can disable the Messenger service in your ... This is not the service for MSN Messenger, it is a Windows ... Product Support Services, Security Team ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Apology!!!
    ... was some kinda glitch, and I didn't realize the reply was ... >Perhaps your problem is not with MSN Messenger, ... >rather the Messenger service in XP. ... The XP firewall cannot be used or it ...
  • Blocking out pop-up messages
    ... Perhaps your problem is not with MSN Messenger, ... rather the Messenger service in XP. ... then scroll down to the Messenger service and double- ... The XP firewall cannot be used or it ...